DM PADI swim test Friday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI has a 400m swim without swim aids, a 800m swim with mask, fins, and snorkel, a 15 minute tread or float with hands out of the water for the last 2 minutes and a 100m diver tow with both divers in full gear.

Both divers in drysuits, steel doubles, with big giant canister lights, etc too if your instructor is into real world scenarios - "train the way dive, dive the way you train"

Well i passed and its over. Man that was tough. The 100 yard tow seemed like a piece of cake till the last 20 yards. My legs are feeling it.

Sweet! 4 of us did ours this past Sunday - we did it all, though only two of us did the gear exchange as it was optional and so we did it as a practice. Nailed it though, so now I kinda wished we'd done it for a score. Oh well. And yeah, my legs are still aching - felt good to go to the gym and unwind them a bit today though.

The tow was tough, but my instructor didn't quite like my technique, so when I got done he said "well, that works, but its not exactly text book" So I said "ok, show me what you want" and doubled down and I knocked out another 50M at top speed. I was done by then though...and we all laughed about it.

PADI has a 400m swim without swim aids, a 800m swim with mask, fins, and snorkel, a 15 minute tread or float with hands out of the water for the last 2 minutes and a 100m diver tow with both divers in full gear.

Thanks, that's what I thought. SSI just does not have the 400m swim, but does have the 200m tow. The guy I got to tow in full gear wears a 6x wetsuit. Like towing a iceberg. While he floated well, he also extended so far below the waterline I had issues kicking and clearing his body. The other guy in our class my size towed a rather petite woman. Life just is not always fair, but I did it and that's all that counts!

Terry

Thanks, that's what I thought. SSI just does not have the 400m swim, but does have the 200m tow. The guy I got to tow in full gear wears a 6x wetsuit. Like towing a iceberg. While he floated well, he also extended so far below the waterline I had issues kicking and clearing his body. The other guy in our class my size towed a rather petite woman. Life just is not always fair, but I did it and that's all that counts!

Terry

Eh? No where does it state you can't choose who you tow. We all towed the same person (in succession). She kinda got the raw deal as we were all bigger than her...haha. Also in my book, gear exchange is also part of the endurance grouping, just it doesn't have a time limit, save for your gas supply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom