DM or TEC certification route?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not really..at least not in the PADI system..DM teaches you to supervise and assist,not teach..should have demonstration quality skills..if not using a dm rating by supervising dives,such as crewing on a boat or assisting a class or eventually getting a instructor rating,why bother?

Good point. I should have been more explicit in my post. Thanks for the follow up!

It depends on whether you want to learn something about diving, or learn something about teaching. Most instructors I know do not do much actual diving, with a few notable exceptions. They do most of their dives in pools or quarries, when they are getting paid. If you're fine with doing gumby diving, it's great. If you want to learn something and don't care about instructing, I'd go try and learn something new. Just my two cents.

Is there any reason for doing the PADI Tec40 course? Have you looked at TDI, IANTD etc?
...well no, not really, i actually live very close to a 5*padi center who's main instructor is an experienced tec diver, so i thought i 'd might take the next avail tec class...

If you are at all interested in GUE Fundamentals, you have a GUE Instructor in Athens . . .

Pay for a course, so you can pay for a course.........
And they say PADI likes to make money

not sure if i get the point right, is this intended to downgrade GUE instruction?
thanks for clarifying

I think Simon is objecting to the idea of taking a preparatory course before taking a technical class, on the theory that the technical class should teach you everything in one. It is my personal opinion that taking a preparatory class before either technical or cave classes is a very GOOD idea (and honestly, the Tec 40 isn't much different from that). Seeing the level of function that's required (or at least ought to be) at the technical level is, I think, very helpful. Getting your buoyancy, trim, propulsion, situational awareness and tolerance for task-loading bumped up before coping with deco bottles and midwater failures is completely worthwhile. I think most technical instructors would be VERY happy to be presented with students whose basics had already been polished. I know my cavern/Intro instructor was.

"not sure if i get the point right, is this intended to downgrade GUE instruction?
thanks for clarifying"
Not degrading anyone, can't see how you came to that summation

"I think Simon is objecting to the idea of taking a preparatory course before taking a technical class"
Exactly what I was referring to. Take one class before you are allowed to take anything other than (I think) Rec 1.

When you consider that there are no GUE instructors in the UAE for example, it makes the cost of the course(s) mighty high. I know of two fundies courses that have been run here, factor in the cost of the flight and accommodation of the instructor, plus the actual course cost........not cheap by any stretch.

Pay for a course, so you can pay for a course.........

And they say PADI likes to make money

isn't that the same for any educational institution/agency?

I had to take intro to calculus before taking advanced calculus from my university

I also had to take AOW before learning rescue skills in the Rescue Diver class from PADI

and, I also had to take Advanced Nitrox from TDI before being allowed to take the Trimix class

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom