DM guides How Much$$

What would you pay over & above your usual trip & gear cost for a personal guide with

• $75.00

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • $100.00

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • $150.00

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • $200.00

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $25-50

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I wouldn't think of ever hiring a guide.

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orlando Eric

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am at a loss as to why there is not a company that reffers Dive Masters to paying customers to dive on any boat of their choice. Similar to a hunting guide or a river guide. A person that is paid by YOU to look out for you and show you all the GOOD stuff in the deep blue.

Dive Shops sorta of offer this service but not really to the extent that they should.

What is a Fair price for a Dive Master to lead JUST you (and your buddy) per trip?

These numbers do not include the DM's dive boat fees that I neglected to include so these numbers are On TOP of the boat fees that you should be expected to cover.

Well, if you're gonna bring along your own personal DM they will probably have to pay their boat ride which is $50 to $75. So for your DM to make any money they would have to charge this plus what they want to make. Consider that it takes about 4 hours of the DM's time. To make $25/hour he'd have to charge you $100 plus the trip cost.

I doubt you'll find many divers willing to pay that. Heck, they don't even want to pay for the boat's DM, who doesn't have to pay the boat ride since he already works on it.

Good thought and issue BUT, just a thought... why do $75 as the minimum? Maybe it might not be worth $50 to many, and THAT'S why it's not done. I'm not saying it's FAIR, but if it's a MARKET offer like $25-$50 and no professional willing to come down that low then there's no market...

I just don't see many visitors (that's the market here, after all) springing for the boat trip, gear AND the DM's trip on top of his/her rate here in SE Florida.

No offense, but the poll question is flawed. It needs to account for TOTAL cost including the guide's trip (that doesn't come out of his/her rate, does it?), and there needs to be a lower threshold down even to "would never consider" a guide.

Maybe Jenny could let you erase and re-do the poll if you're interested. Just my $0.02 if it's worth that, of course!

Orlando Eric:
I am at a loss as to why there is not a company that reffers Dive Masters to paying customers to dive on any boat of their choice. Similar to a hunting guide or a river guide. A person that is paid by YOU to look out for you and show you all the GOOD stuff in the deep blue.

Dive Shops sorta of offer this service but not really to the extent that they should.

What is a Fair price for a Dive Master to lead JUST you (and your buddy) per trip?

These numbers do not include the DM's dive boat fees that I neglected to include so these numbers are On TOP of the boat fees that you should be expected to cover.

It's regionally dependent. Around here you don't expect to get paid if you do it on a casual basis. If the shop hires me to do it I get about 35 Euros over expenses for each day.

R..

Try doing a DM's job just once. It is not easy looking after a bunch of divers, watching the reef for the smallest of things to point out, chase bolting charters, equipment failures, etc, etc, etc..... My wife is a DM and let me tell you she works every second......

A DM or an instructor?

I always thought finding it yourself was half the fun. I'm not a big fan of guided tours but if someone has limited time, and wants to see it all, a guide is the way to go. I don't think there is much of a market for an underwater guide in S FL., most people that come here are into inexpensive vacations.

I'd be interested in the equivalent of a hunting or fishing guide, someone that could put me on 5 lb lobsters, show me grouper gulch and hogfish heaven. What's that worth, hard to say. It's knowledge that didn't come easy and most want to keep it to themselves.

I wouldn't be interested in the equivalent of a bird watching guide, "there's a banded blitherspoon and a bifurcated branched bracheopod". What's that worth, hard to say. Whatever someone is willing to pay.

The Keys of Florida seem to be in the minority when it comes to having DM's accompany the divers. This in general is NOT an add on expense.

It's commonly done in Coz, and even Jupiter!! :D

This is not the personal service for just you and a buddy that you suggest, but a DM for six divers is certainly IMO enough.

I asked this question of a couple of the DM in the Keys, and they indicated that they were just not really sure why it's not done. I'm guessing insurance. They did however indicated that it's becoming more popular to include a diving DM on the boat.

Many Ops in the Keys will provide a DM for about $50.

As for comparing hunting in Montana or CO to DM'ing in general, kinda apples and oranges. Most guided Hunts include a HECK of a lot more than just someone showing you around. They generally come with lodging, guiding, preparing the meals, horses, and even gutting and packing out the game. A guided Elk hunt in CO including camp/lodging, and all services runs 3-5K. A drop camp runs $1500, no guide. If you want to just hire a guide, good luck with that. Most are not interested, at least here in CO.

L8R

very interesting Eric.... At first I wasn't exactly sure what you meant. I guess it would really depend on if I had to pay for my boat seat or not.

I agree that the poll is flawed.. I stand behind the concept though. The SPG is what I had in mind specifically. Newbie AOW divers getting in over their head where a one on one DM could make it safer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom