DM course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt seriously that there are.

To enroll in the PADI dive master course, the candidate must be at least 18 years old.

the K

Well...there might be some.
Since you're here could you answer some of my questions?
I have a few concerns of whether being a DM at 19 will put me in a spot where some older divers will not take me seriously.

And is starting the course with 70+ dives gonna put me at a disadvantage?

At 18, one has attained one's majority and is no longer considered a "youth".

Well, I must assume that you have completed advanced open water, rescue and EFR courses.

While youth is always a drawback when working in an industry/hobby populated, for the most part, by divers of more advanced age, one can gain the respect and validation of the divers with whom is working by exhibiting those characteristics which go to make up a good DM.

I don't think your level of experience will be an issue.

the K

I'm in the middle of my DM class right now, and have been "assisting" with OW classes for quite some time now, while doing my rescue training. I'm 25, so yes a bit older than you, but in my experience, have a professional attitude and hold yourself with confidence, and I haven't had any older students have any problems taking me seriously.

Good luck with it,
Jim

archman:
There's a lot of "kiddies" who have enrolled in programs like these.

http://www.gobroadreach.com/programs/dip.asp

http://www.actionquest.com/viewtrip.html?tid=34

Nah...i'm not in the region. Going to do it with my LDS, since they took me from ow.

Jimmer:
I'm in the middle of my DM class right now, and have been "assisting" with OW classes for quite some time now, while doing my rescue training. I'm 25, so yes a bit older than you, but in my experience, have a professional attitude and hold yourself with confidence, and I haven't had any older students have any problems taking me seriously.

Good luck with it,
Jim

Thanks man.

So having a confident & professional attitude and also drawing a line on when to be fun and serious is kind of the traits that DMs are suppose to have...

It took me some time to decide on taking the course. Now decided to go ahead with rescue & DM.

dive_lover88:
So having a confident & professional attitude and also drawing a line on when to be fun and serious is kind of the traits that DMs are suppose to have...

Absolutely!! I'm very much of the opinion that diving and learning to dive should be a blast, but yes there are obviously times when you need to draw a line. My instructor and I like to have fun and just be a little goofy when we're on the fun "play" portions of training, such as the end of the class when we're just letting the students burn up a tank. We like to do stuff like dive down to a training platform with a student, then trade everything but wetuits and then continue with the dive. Gets some funny looks from the students.

As a young person who needs or wants to be respected (In case of a DM needs) IMO you definetly need to show confidence as others has mentioned. However, you shouldnt show as "over-confident" either. Lots of "older" people thats like 2-2,5 your age seem to have a problem with confident youngsters.

How you carry yourself, dress and show confidence is key when it comes to gaining respect from your "elders" in my experience. Im closing in on joining the group I used to call old tho.. Scary.

P.S. A sloppy handshake is a big nono..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom