DJI Action 4?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoPro has more available dive related accessories from what I have seen. They have a larger user base and bigger market. If an action cam was my primary camera or if I had already bought into the GoPro ecosystem, that would be a big decision factor;
What kind of accessories are you referring to? I only have in mind the dive housing (there is also the T-housing for deep diving) and color filters, which exist for both. Possibly a dome, which I believe there is for the Action 4

What kind of accessories are you referring to? I only have in mind the dive housing (there is also the T-housing for deep diving) and color filters, which exist for both. Possibly a dome, which I believe there is for the Action 4I was
All I care about is the housing and possibly a red filter for the Action 4. From what I've read, the
FLIP10 Pro Package w/ Shallow & Dive Filters & +15 MacroMate Mini Lens for GoPro is popular..The AOI 0.73X Ultra-Wide Lens for GoPro is another. Not sure I would ever get either of these but they are popula and only available for GoPro. There are many U/W accessories for GoPro if that was my only criteria.

I like this underwater tripod for my Osmo/GoPro. Where can I get it in Bali? How much does it cost?

Edit: I see other gorillapod style options as well not sure which one to get for just an actioncam…
Hi Pearlman

You can purchase through our online store at Scuba diving accessories for underwater scooters, DPV and cameras., we ship globally.

You might find that the gorillapod style tripods might be a bit light for a gopro underwater unless you add weight for some additional stability.

What kind of accessories are you referring to? I only have in mind the dive housing (there is also the T-housing for deep diving) and color filters, which exist for both. Possibly a dome, which I believe there is for the Action 4

The UCC works pretty well actually (as seen in my video samples) and unlike my Hero 7 which needs a red filter I don’t really care to use one with with the Osmo…

Out of curiosity - Does anyone know if the Action4 uses the same battery as the Action3 cam? What about the dive housing?

Intrigued by the larger sensor on the Action 4, I got one recently and hit the water. Initial results were decidedly mixed on my end.

I dive a lot in the Pacific Northwest and Great Lakes - no well-lit tropical waters here. With the noise reduction feature on any setting above -2 (the lowest available setting), I found the camera struggles mightily in medium-low light settings, with low-contrast textures. Results in frequent, pronounced "ghosting" that makes the footage unusuable in my opinion. I'm using Rocksteady stabilization, so maybe it's a combo of the stabilization and the noise reduction. But I won't film without stabilization, so the noise reduction had to go. The increase in grain was far preferable to the ghosting / shimmering effect.,

Once I turned the noise reduction all the way down, the the ghosting issue disappeared. So that's good.

The remaining beef I have with the camera is that footage will sometimes come out waaaaayyy greener than it appeared in the water. Like neon highligher green. I've had this issue with both a fixed value for WB and AWB. Sometimes the color temperature will noticably hop / oscillate between neon green and not neon green.

Above water footage is fantastic, and I prefer the natural color profile to the Hero 12's natural profile (which is virtually indiscernible from vibrant). If I can get the footage to stop coming out so green, I'll be happy with it. Otherwise I'll be forced to use the GoPro and return the DJI.

Intrigued by the larger sensor on the Action 4, I got one recently and hit the water. Initial results were decidedly mixed on my end.

I dive a lot in the Pacific Northwest and Great Lakes - no well-lit tropical waters here. With the noise reduction feature on any setting above -2 (the lowest available setting), I found the camera struggles mightily in medium-low light settings, with low-contrast textures. Results in frequent, pronounced "ghosting" that makes the footage unusuable in my opinion. I'm using Rocksteady stabilization, so maybe it's a combo of the stabilization and the noise reduction. But I won't film without stabilization, so the noise reduction had to go. The increase in grain was far preferable to the ghosting / shimmering effect.,

Once I turned the noise reduction all the way down, the the ghosting issue disappeared. So that's good.

The remaining beef I have with the camera is that footage will sometimes come out waaaaayyy greener than it appeared in the water. Like neon highligher green. I've had this issue with both a fixed value for WB and AWB. Sometimes the color temperature will noticably hop / oscillate between neon green and not neon green.

Above water footage is fantastic, and I prefer the natural color profile to the Hero 12's natural profile (which is virtually indiscernible from vibrant). If I can get the footage to stop coming out so green, I'll be happy with it. Otherwise I'll be forced to use the GoPro and return the DJI.
That's disappointing regarding the neon green color even with a set WB. Curious if you shot in DLogM and color graded in post. If so, were you able to 'fix' the color to something more normal?

I’ve had this exact issue with the hero 3+B as well. Sounds like something that can be fixed with a firmware update - but you have to report it to DJI first so they can review the feedback and footage. It’s a new model so corrections and improvements are bound to happen over time.
Suggestion : Try flashing your torch beam at a nearby subject for more than a few seconds when this happens to force a change in WB calculations then see it if auto-corrects again to a better WB after you switch off the torch?

That's disappointing regarding the neon green color even with a set WB. Curious if you shot in DLogM and color graded in post. If so, were you able to 'fix' the color to something more normal?

For the footage I've used thus far, I simply used the natural color profile, which is pretty true to life above water in my opinion. Haven't tried filming in DLogM yet.

Back
Top Bottom