DIY Wing Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkdcol

Registered
Reaction score
Its actually blow molded plastic backplate,,,, yeah its light. You'll want one that is setup for a cam strap, not the steel band with fiddly wing nuts,
But a wing is not really meant to fit it, (I used a tire tube)

Just get a conventional aluminum plate or carbon fiber, with a normal wing,

I don't know, but I doubt you're going to get away with no bouyence device on a boat, or a tire tube wing, unless you know someone, :wink:
I was planning on trying to replicate the OP's wing design (using either a tire tube or an inflatable toy inside). I've seen others use dernier fabric to make the bladder, sealing the seems with either heat or PVC cement. Personally, I have never been able to find fabric that didn't leak.

happy-diver

Skindiver Just feelin it
Reaction score
A touch South of Australian landfall, ha ha ha ha!
# of dives
25 - 49
It is a crapshoot, I've bought stuff from the same place buy it again and comes different stuff
Here's some stuff it has to be shiny inside and depends on how much the Chinese guy sprays

Plastic backpacks are perfect for everything

025.JPG

like a VDH 18 for some single hose diving, see Nemrod another fat stiff string

029.JPG

Even some double hose diving without the wing

full

But first thing it's good to find some lead balls

full

Perfect!

OP
James79

James79

Reinventor of Wheels
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I haven't had anyone express concerns on my wings (and a buddy has taken his that's made the same way on multiple boats), but I chalk that up to them looking "professional". And if you sew up your own, you can put the cam band slots where you want.
You can also cut a backplate out of a $5 cutting board.... It's what my kids dive.

OP
James79

James79

Reinventor of Wheels
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was planning on trying to replicate the OP's wing design (using either a tire tube or an inflatable toy inside). I've seen others use dernier fabric to make the bladder, sealing the seems with either heat or PVC cement. Personally, I have never been able to find fabric that didn't leak.
DM sent

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been thinking to do my own BP/W for some time. I was trying to define how to make the bladder, and arrived to the conclusion that a tire inner tube would be the best solution, however I thought that that's not a solution for a scuba diver.
I've changed my mind after reading the book "Aquanaut: a life beneath the surface" written by Rick Stanton, the cave diver that rescued the 13 Thai boys together with John Volanthen. Some where in the book, Rick described his DIY BP/W made with a car tire inner tube.
View attachment 677802
Today I saw the documentary "The Rescue" form Nat Geo in Disney+
Here a screen shot I've taken where Rick is using his high tech bladder. I guess that the picture I've added in my previous post is Rick using his rig, but that pic has several years, even before the Thai incident.
Captura de pantalla 2021-12-31 15.24.45.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Top Bottom