DIY wet/Dry suit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just had this crazy idea 10 minutes ago. Why not make my own wetsuit? My friend's family owns arubber company that makes neoprene. Why don't I just sent it off to a proper tailor and Get him to take proper measurements?

Then while I went upstairs to check my SB messages. I thought.. why not make a drysuit and just get the other parts and gadgets from a friend of mine who owns a drysuit.

Anyone tried something like this? Am I a bit too imaginative? Is this project possible?

Jalal

diver371:
Hey Everyone,

I just had this crazy idea 10 minutes ago. Why not make my own wetsuit? My friend's family owns arubber company that makes neoprene. Why don't I just sent it off to a proper tailor and Get him to take proper measurements?

Then while I went upstairs to check my SB messages. I thought.. why not make a drysuit and just get the other parts and gadgets from a friend of mine who owns a drysuit.

Anyone tried something like this? Am I a bit too imaginative? Is this project possible?

Jalal
Anything is possible...given enough money and time...

Being a bit of a DIY'er, IMHO, You don't save money (ok...on simple things you do)...They do it because its fun to do....So...Knock yourself out and let us know how it turns out.

hey jeff,

one question, what is IMHO?

about the money, well all i need to pay for is the neoprene. the tailor and everything else well is "free". I think i'm gonna do this..
starting next week I'll do the wetsuit design etc.

does anyone know where i can get information on how drysuits aremade and what is the material used? is is just neoprene and an insulating material that is sealed?

diver371:
hey jeff,

one question, what is IMHO?

about the money, well all i need to pay for is the neoprene. the tailor and everything else well is "free". I think i'm gonna do this..
starting next week I'll do the wetsuit design etc.

does anyone know where i can get information on how drysuits aremade and what is the material used? is is just neoprene and an insulating material that is sealed?
IMHO - In My Honest Opinion

Drysuits. Some are made with Neoprene (non-compressed)...but they are on the low end of the market.

For a high end product...Look for Cordura...(There was a web site that sells it...I don't remember it off-hand...but it will be in Scubaboards history some where)

Edit: Found It...http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html

umm

i just got off the phone with the rubber company

the roll of neoprene will cost around $350 and well i guess it's not worth it.

on the subject of the drysuit material what type of material should it be? I think my sad has a large supply of cordura in the warehouse. maybe i could use that?

Jalal

I recall an old issue of SKINDIVER had directions for making your own vest, it was pretty straight forward & used a T-shirt as a pattern.
As far as a drysuit goes you'll ne having some challenges sealing the seams. Thinned down AquaSeal will work & you may want to invest in a roll of seam tape.
I'd be willing to bet that you'll be shelling out more for a DIYer than for a used suit (maybe new one).
If you want to go zipperless, using a "tunnel entry" & clamping it off with a hose clamp will work. (water/gas tight zippers are going to run you $150 - $250)

diver371:
umm

i just got off the phone with the rubber company

the roll of neoprene will cost around $350 and well i guess it's not worth it.
Add the price of the Exhaust valve..inflator valve... zipper... latex (or neoprene) seals (Neck and wrists)

I warned you...Its not cost effective (You do it because its neat...not to save money)

Cordura is one of those vague words like "ballistic" that doesn't mean as much as it sounds - actually it is just a Dupont tradename for a tough, air-textured nylon that comes in many different versions.

Dupont being a major nylon producer, top of the line drysuits are often cordura. But they are cordura TRILAMINATE. That is to say, a trilaminate with two layers of nylon, and a layer of butyl rubber laminated inn between them, for absolute waterproofness.
You can also find urethane coated cordura. This is the stuff some drysuit manufacteres call "bilaminate". Most trilam in made in England, and it is very specialized stuff. Urethane coated is much more common but is lightyears behind proper trilam in durability.

And then you can find cordura which is not waterproof at all - though may be called "water resistant" whatever that means.

JeffG:
For a high end product...Look for Cordura...(There was a web site that sells it...I don't remember it off-hand...but it will be in Scubaboards history some where)

oh man I just pressed back and took away the whole message

How can drysuit zippers be waterproof?

Tomorrow morning I'll call the rubber company and see if they have any scrap rubber neoprene. If they don't then I'll get my rubber from Syria in the summer. It won't be so expensive.

A question for Bob3:
From what I see on your signature, you are a drysuit dealer. Why are drysuits and all other dive equipment expensive? Is this industry very profitable for the manufacturers and dealers? or is the cost price relatively high?

Thanks a lot everyone
Jalal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom