DIY Website

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's the editor and browser I use. Netscape's editor does pretty well for the weak little pages I write. The download is free, too!

I do find myself tweaking it a bit by hand using a text editor, too.

Sorry to use the "N" word, for those of you who don't like it.:D

KYDan

Your internet service provider (ISP) probably has allotted you space with the sign up. Check your documentation or go to their help section on the web. Most of the major providers offer 10mgs of space which is plenty for a basic page. I know ISPs like Mindspring/Earthlink, Bellsouth do.
You also can get the freebies at geocities and tripod if you don't mind those annoying popups.

Frontpage is fairly straight forward to use.

Consider putting together a personal site that will give you the opportunity to experiment and expand your learning (Don't jump straightway into a business site, otherwise it might not be well organized or thought out). I put together my own site about 6 months ago (even though I've used html code for several years now) as a place to put personal scuba related items of interest.
WB416's Scuba site

Fortunately, I have a friend that let's me use some server space for a nominal fee (he makes me dive with him... I know.. life is rough...)

After experimenting on mine, I've diversified into business and non-profit web site design and/or maintenance.

Don't forget to test with both IE & Netscape (or other) browsers to make sure it's compatible.

bob

I also use Hummingbird Hosting, and host 3 web sites. Dreamweaver is my favorite by far. There are some free HTML editors out there that use WYSIWYG. Notepad works great, but someone just getting into creating web pages, you may be a little overwhelmed with the HTML coding at first.

I would not recommend hosting, or using email, on your ISP's freebies- in chicago ISPs have been dropping like flies, and every time there is a mass panic :wacko: while people update email addresses and realize that they need to find a new place to host.
:)
MK

I am with scuba-punk. First Page is free and from my experience, bulletproof. No Microsoft overhead BS code like Frontpage, four levels of complexity,(Novice - Expert), that changes menus and options, and FREE!!! Evrsoft talked at one point about a FTP option for posting the pages but it never happened, as far as I know.

BTW scuba-punk, we may dive together someday soon as I am a PA guy.

My advice is to get your own domain name and find a cheap hosting company. If you own the domain, your email address will never change, and most places only charge around $15/year to register a name.

I own a hosting company with datacentres in the Bahamas and Cayman, I have no problem providing some free webspace, on a first come first served basis to any SB user. Although you will need to resister your own domain name or pay for it I can do it for you. We would also host your email for you as well, our email service is free anyway.

PM me if anyone is interested.

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom