DIY Underwater Housing Results in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpman

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all;

I just wanted to share my experience with building my underwater housings. I have posted in the past but would like to pass on some information.
Here is what I have learned from doing this for the last few years.

First, a wide angle lens is a must! Without it your video will be jerky hard to view. Diving in surge presents issues to camera work. Learn to go with the flow. Station keeping with a housing is tough. Looking at the viewscreen is just an approximation. With the Wideangle you will pretty much be point and shoot.:wink:

Second, Get the red filter! This makes so much difference. Replacing the reds opens up a whole new arena and makes the video presentable.

For the housing that I have been working on I have pictures of the housing modified with the red lens and the Ikelite controls. They are at

http://www.empirescuba.com/seaviewhousing/

This site has the original pictures of the housing before the change. I really must get it updated. :crafty:

http://www.markwilson.com/SEAVIEW/seaview.html

There is also a link from that to some of the video I shot with it in Belize.

Ok, now here is the punch list of things to fix.

1. I use 6 lbs of soft weights inside the housing under the mount plate. They slide around. This is annoying. It is an easy fix, but necessary.

2. I am going to go with the Ikelite part#6441.43 ....... 4.2" dia port red filter. I get a bit of the ring when zoomed all the way out. Bigger is better in this case!

3. Quick releases for the handles. It packs much better without them. I packed the wrench and the phillips screwdriver in checked baggage, but TSA took it out anyway.
(I am convinced TSA has a mission to see how much of a persons equipment they can break :shakehead .)

4. A case for the endcap lens. TSA again managed to put a chip in it. (This stuff is tough, I don't know what they must do to this)

I hope this helps anyone building their own. I am very happy with the way this housing is working and I am laughing at those who told me I was crazy. This has been a 5 year thing off and on and I have about $300.00 into it.

Ciao... safe diving.. Mark.
www.empirescuba.com

Nice video, Mark. I am nearing completion of my own housing, and I appreciate your sharing your own experiences.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Did you just set the camera to the widest angle zoom, or did you install an accessory wide-angle lens?

2. Did TSA actually confiscate your tools in your packed luggage?

3. Are you still using the same camera (I think it is a JVC)?

4. Did you turn the holder for the red filter on your lathe and glue it to the window?

Thanks again.

3. Are you still using the same camera (I think it is a JVC)?

(Oops, just saw the end of your video, which answered my question in the affirmative.:11doh:)

I have a zoom through wide angle. The upper control allows me to zoom in/out. It is an extreme wideangle that I got from BH photo for the JVC.

Yes, TSA removed the screwdriver from my checked baggage. Nice snapon. (They probably needed it for something). I had it packed in a compartment of one of the bags. Totally empty. @#$@

The holder for the filter was a very last minute thing. I actually cut it out with a jigsaw and then cleaned it up on my sander. The next ones will be done on the lathe.
The ring is attached to the cap with 3 screws. I tapped into the 1/2" polycarb halfway through and used the 3 screws. I have not found a glue that will bond polycarb together good enough. If you know of such, I would love the info.

If you want more info or detail let me know.

Are you sure you are using polycarbonate and not polymethylmethacrylate (a.k.a. acrylic or PMMA)? Plexiglas is acrylic; Lucite is polycarbonate.

McMaster-Carr lists quite a few acrylic adhesives. I think it is pretty easy to get a good bond on this material. After you confirm the material, I'll check with the shop guys here at work, too. I think that they fuse some plastics with a little bit of dichloromethane (methylene chloride) introduced into the joint with a syringe. They make nice plastic tanks and chambers this way. I don't recall which plastic they join with the dichloromethane, however.

BTW, I'm a chemist.

I will be really pissed if TSA takes my tools from my checked luggage. They have no reason to do so. Just makes my blood boil.

I am using 1/2" Abrasion Resistant Polycarbonate from McMaster Carr. Part Number 8707K152. Is there something better I could be using? I used it because it is appears to be real tough. I am open to suggestions!

BTW, They did not touch any of my other tools. just my 6" phillips driver. Maybe they figured it to be a "weapon".

I am using 1/2" Abrasion Resistant Polycarbonate from McMaster Carr. Part Number 8707K152. Is there something better I could be using? I used it because it is appears to be real tough. I am open to suggestions!

Many folks use acrylic sheet, such as this one:
Cast Acrylic 8560K266 $41.74 (same size as the one you quoted) I also see they sell a sample sheet (6x6x1/2") for about $3.

It's a bit cheaper than polycarbonate. I believe it is more scratch-resistant than normal PC. I don't know how it compares with your scratch-resistant stuff. PC is more impact resistant (tougher). Bulletproof glass is made from PC (or at least, it used to be).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom