DIY Strobe Arm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I got it yesterday, and it doesn't seem like it'll need any help holding up the UK HID100 I'm planning to use as a video light. Cool stuff! I find myself trying to think of more things I could use it for.

LokLine is interesting stuff.

Here's my camera rig, evolving over 5 years now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63634000@N00/456177013/in/set-72157600069286608/

I made a single arm tray from 1.25" polypropylene "P" trap drain pipe for sinks. The pipe joints are moveable so I can rotate or extend my strobe forward. I put a pivot arm under the tray so the camera can be rotated.

I added the aluminum arm this year. It's on a stand-off post so it can be rotated 360 degrees behind the camera tray and "P" trap arm.

I Velcro® the arms together topside and for entering/exiting the water.

Just as an update, I finally took a photo of my DIY loc-line video arm.

1727810429_7bef440f22.jpg

Just as an update, I finally took a photo of my DIY loc-line video arm.

1727810429_7bef440f22.jpg

Very nice. If it wasn't for the flash "housing" you wouldn't even know it was home brewed!

Bryan

This looks like an inexpensive, interesting way to get a strobe for my camera as well! I have a couple of questions being a real newbie at U.W. photography. what kind of strobe flash light is that attached to the loc-Line in the picture, and is it attached electronically to the camera in any way or is it always turned on??

What kind of strobe flash light is that attached to the loc-Line in the picture?
It's the sort that isn't a strobe flash. It's a UK HID100 light with a diffuser. I use it for video, so I don't really need it to flash or sync with the shutter.
Is it attached electronically to the camera in any way or is it always turned on??
Generally speaking, it's on for the duration of the dive.

Of course, you could easily use the loc-line to mount whatever you like.

somebody was telling me that although locline is greatstuffs but it is not strong enough to hold the strobes such as ds200. is this true?

thx

somebody was telling me that although locline is greatstuffs but it is not strong enough to hold the strobes such as ds200. is this true?
I'm not familiar with the ds200, but the loc-line is barely able to hold the HID100 in place above water. Submerged, it does fine.

Agree. Above water it won't support the heavy strobes, but in the water those strobes are typically near neutral and the system works fine. I typically fold the arm around the housing when I splash anyway as I don't want the arm or strobe to catch on anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom