DIY Strobe Arm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all for sharing!
Especially interested in Matt's DIY, as I'm interested to buy a HID light to use in place of a strobe. Have seen a guy doing it & it seemed a great idea & his pictures are nice! The HID light is abt $170 but the tray/arms system according to him, costs more than the light itself (in S'pore at least)! Especially when he has to get the "light-holder" from Sea & Sea, to attach the arm to the light...
Matt, can u please disclose the "list" of the parts needed for this DIY & how do u attach the light to the arms? Thanks!!!

Just as an update, I finally took a photo of my DIY loc-line video arm.

1727810429_7bef440f22.jpg
What did you use for the handle?

I made the strobe arm for my housing in a similar way, but I used a knock-off "GorillaPod" for the flexible part. The tray and the handle I made them out of aluminium.
I prefer this kind of arm to the articulated type, it's more flexible and very easy to adjust to different positions.

Update on my DIR strobe arm. It broke, this fall. (no worries it's fixed)
I was diving in a stiff current in St Lawrence River, near 1000 Islands bridge.
The threaded studd on the Ram Balls is aluminum. This broke off in heavy current.
I drilled out all the aluminum insert RAM Balls & replaced the original 1/4" threaded studd, with 5/16-24 threaded hole.
I drilled out & tapped the aluminum arms with same thread.
Attached the RAM balls to the arms with 5/16-24 x 1.25" long stainless steel set screws. ( SS threaded rod could also be substituted).

regards

MIke D

Back
Top Bottom