DIY Strobe Arm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mddolson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm new to U/W photography.
I bought an Ikelite housing for my Olympus c750 camera and started palying last summer.
It became very evident I needed a strobe.
I have a Nikonos SB105 which will function in manual mode.

BUT! a strobe is not all I needed.
I needed a strobe arm as well.
The cost of a strobe arm system is pretty much the same regardless of the supplier, ULCS, Ikelite or Aquatica (all about $240 US)
With shipping, brokerage and exchange, this nets out to about $300 Canadian.

So I opted to make one out of Ram Mount parts and aluminum rod.
I purchased the ball mounts for my camera housing and the stobe from Ikelite ( $30 each)
The elbow joints and 1" rubber ball ends came from RAM Moounts (total cost $110)
http://www.rammount.com/
I bought the 2 feet of 1/2" aluminum rod for $5.00
Total cost $175.00 (Canadian)

The 1" rubber balls have 1/4 -20 threaded aluminum studs on them so all I had to do was drill and tap the 2 x 1 ft aluminum rods and assemble. I still need to get the rods powder coated black to make it all nice and professional looking.

Here's ther result.

Mike Dolson

can u pm to me the result as i wanna make one for my ike's housing as well.

I have just relocated and do not have an internet connection at home.

I'LL post the picture of the arm early next week.

Mike D

FWIW the interlocking arm used by Gates/Nightrider, the Sea/Sea SL960D and others is made using loc-line tubing.

Net cost for my buddy with for his Ikelite/Inon arm was under $20. Including 2 stainless steel bolts/nuts from Home Depot.

Go to the Modular Hose website, buy their $10.95 3/4" Starter Kit plus one of their 2 pack fixed mounts(near the bottom of the page) Drill a hole through the base and use one of the bolts to fasten it to your tray. You'll have to fabricate the other end to match your strobe fitting.

A nice thing is that the arm segments snap together. Makes it easy to take apart for travel or to change the length. The tubing is pretty indestructible as it's made for industrial coolant applications.

sjspeck:
Go to the Modular Hose website, buy their $10.95 3/4" Starter Kit plus one of their 2 pack fixed mounts(near the bottom of the page) Drill a hole through the base and use one of the bolts to fasten it to your tray. You'll have to fabricate the other end to match your strobe fitting.
That's awesome! Thanks a bunch!

I have been using a 12' section of Loc Link on my D180 for several years. It is a little understrength above water...you have to fold the strobe down or it will fall itself, but underwater it works great. It's a lot more flexable and easier to position than some of the standard arms. Modular Hose is great to work with too, fast service.

I wonder if it might be worthwhile to bolster the modular hose with some armature wire? I guess I'll figure all that out when the parts arrive.

MSilvia:
I wonder if it might be worthwhile to bolster the modular hose with some armature wire? I guess I'll figure all that out when the parts arrive.

I don't see the need, at least with my D180, a larger strobe maybe. I would think it would take quite a bit to be effective and then it would limit the flexability. Some type of plastic hose inserted inside might be helpful.

One other "problem" I have with mine is it leaks a little. Last trip I was handling it on shore and heard the sound of sloshing water. Scared the dickens out of me until I realized it was inside of the hose and not the housing. Split the hose apart, dumped it out and put it back together.

I got the loc-line tubing last year to build my arm. While saggy above water as mentioned, it's been fine underwater. I'd recommend trying it without any support first and then add it if you need to. This stuff is great - easy to work with and so totally inexpensive I can't imagine going back to the ball joint system for a DIY project.

Back
Top Bottom