DIY stainless backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But it doesn't work up as pretty. And looking pretty is part of the fun. Even guys like a little bling bling. It just has to be the right kind of bling.
Aluminum will polish out just like chrome. :wink:

It will. The only problem with polishing aluminum is that once you polish it, you're married to it forever. ;-).

-Mitch

Best thing to do is hard coat anodize. Polished aluminum will dull up and like Mitch said, you'll be married to it and will probably be a bad marriage! lol... Especially in salt water.

Best thing to do is hard coat anodize. Polished aluminum will dull up and like Mitch said, you'll be married to it and will probably be a bad marriage! lol... Especially in salt water.

Hardcoat on soft alloys or soft tempers is largely a waste of time and money.

If the metal is distorted, such as where lock washers and or wing nuts impinge, the hardcoat will fail.

Hardcoating the bore of a 7075 hydraulic cylinder to prevent wear makes sense, hardcoating a sheet of 5052 H32 doesn't.

Tobin

..To make a plate really isn't worth it. I just did a few for the hell of it, but considering how cheap they are to buy.
But then again, most DIY projects are for the builders pleasure, not the money.:wink:

Very nice work on that plate BTW. :thumb:

Some friend of mine made aluminium backplate with waterjet cutter. Then he bend curves .
On radius that curves have formed cracks ( maybe too hard aluminium alloy , maybe too fast bending ) it is possible/ have sense to heat aluminium before/between bending ? to make perfect curves ?

Some friend of mine made aluminium backplate with waterjet cutter. Then he bend curves .
On radius that curves have formed cracks ( maybe too hard aluminium alloy , maybe too fast bending ) it is possible/ have sense to heat aluminium before/between bending ? to make perfect curves ?

Minimum radius is a function of the alloy and temper. Unless the fabricator has fairly large radius punches cracking is quite possible.

Large radius punches are common in aerospace oriented fab shops, no so much in shops that usually bend fairly thin steels.

Tobin

I was actually thinking about the matter, I have access to all the tools needed to make a plate, and I might make a custom one out of aluminum.
I am going to be diving with a 14 cu.ft. pony bottle, and a plate the held both and balanced them would be awesome. The only issue would be a wing to fit... Anyways, once I figure out AutoCad inventor a little better (Legit copy, have a connection) I'm going to do a sim.

Back
Top Bottom