DIY stainless backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice. You're a craftsman for sure.

The ends of some of our milk and petrol, road tankers used to be polished like that.

Imagine all the backplates and lures?

Very good.

Engine turning used to be a very common finish applied to sheet metal that had been "worked", particularly common on aircraft. Note the engine cowling.

220px-LindberghStLouis.jpg

This was often done to hide the many marks shaping the metal required.

English wheels, planishing hammers, shrinkers and stretchers etc. all leave marks.

I like the look and sometime use it around my shop. I have a stainless topped work bench that's 30" by 60". That took a little time. :shocked2:

Tobin

My only question is: How much did the steel cost?
I have access to a machine shop (almost full, missing lathe), so the only limiting factor for me is price.

I acquired the material in trade. ;-)

-Mitch

My only question is: How much did the steel cost?
I have access to a machine shop (almost full, missing lathe), so the only limiting factor for me is price.

Yes, I think we all agree that this is NOT a practical approach to a backplate or even an economical approach (if you have to buy a piece of stainless)... You want back plate spend $50-100 to buy one and save yourself the work and material cost...

Now, you love working on stuff and learning new tricks and tinkering... Then by all means it may be worth it to you to build one just to learn...

Yes, I think we all agree that this is NOT a practical approach to a backplate or even an economical approach (if you have to buy a piece of stainless)... You want back plate spend $50-100 to buy one and save yourself the work and material cost...

Now, you love working on stuff and learning new tricks and tinkering... Then by all means it may be worth it to you to build one just to learn...
If it's just for the fun of it, aluminum may be cheaper.

If it's just for the fun of it, aluminum may be cheaper.

True!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom