DIY: single tank adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Furner

Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to attempt to create a STA for use with BPs that have cam strap slots. I am going to take a pair of SS bolts, and weld a parallel set of SS rods between the rods. This way, you will have two bolts 11" apart, with a channel formed by the two rods, that a tank can rest in, and prevent it from rocking side to side.

Furner, keep in mind that you need to acommodate for the radius of the tank.
Rod will work just fine as long as the diameter of the rod is sufficient that the tank will be tangent to both rod and the top of the cross member at the same time, other wise you will have accomplished very little.

i guess as i was laying in bed last night i realized this is a tank stabilizer, not an STA. Either way, its going to be some precision welding.

Slight problem. On my dive-rite plate, the bottom hole for the wing-bolt is in the way of the cam strap slot. Unless I work with a very short bolt, I dont know if this would work, but I will try.

Furner:
Slight problem. On my dive-rite plate, the bottom hole for the wing-bolt is in the way of the cam strap slot. Unless I work with a very short bolt, I dont know if this would work, but I will try.

Furner,

I have a suggestion. In my experience tank rock is most often caused by the fasteners used to secure the wing to the plate. The heads of these bolts are the first thing the tank touches when you tighten the bands. Having a round tank "balanced" on the top of two bolt heads is an invitation for tank rock.

My solution is to get rid of the bolts. First I try mounting the tank on the plate with the wing, but no fasteners at all. See if you can get the tank to be stable.

If you can, all you need is some way to hold the wing in place while you mount the tank. The wing can't leave the plate as long as the tank is secured, even if there is nothing holding the wing to the plate.

I make a rubber fastener to replace the bolts, they are low profile and compress.

See
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/533/28351P1010118.JPG

Send me a PM if you'd like a pair N/C.

Regards,

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom