DIY Scooter Idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twin is 30.5# + 25# for the battery for a <56# total.

My big twin with 84# of thrust is 55# with another 50# for the batteries for roughly 105#. I'm rebuilding it now so it will be a bit heavier when it's done. Maybe another 5# is all.

If I remember right the single was only about 5# lighter or around 50#. The motors don't weigh that much it's the rest and the batteries that do.

Commercial units run in the same basic ranges.

Gary D.

105#? Did ya have to trailer it or enlist help dragging it to the beach? How did ya launch it from a boat? With a davit perhaps?

105#? Did ya have to trailer it or enlist help dragging it to the beach? How did ya launch it from a boat? With a davit perhaps?

Quite A few of the larger more powerful units are in the hundred pound range so mine isn&#8217;t that heavy. At full power it has around a 50 minute run time but there is no way to hold on for that long opened up.

If you&#8217;re going in from the shore 2 can get it to the water easy enough. Off a boat just toss it in. When it comes time to recover it just grab the nose and pull it up and over the side. A hundred pounds is not that heavy.

The one that I call the F-14 has a closed ballast tank in the stern and a controllable ballast tank in the front. With the tanks closed off the kids can pull themselves around on the surface. With the front one fully flooded it is just a few ounces positive at the surface in fresh water. Give it a shove down and it takes its time coming back up.

These projects are a lot of fun if you keep them simple. Get them too complicated and you could have nightmares trying to get them to work right.:wink:

Here is a link that will show the weight of one brand: Exploration, sea scooters. Fort Lauderdale, FL.

Gary D.

I remember seeing the plans for this in Popular Science in the 1970's. Improved plans came out in a later issue having a light on the front.

Gary, you still around? - if so, do you have an opinion on using "freshwater" vs "Saltwater" trolling motors for a scooter?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom