DIY Regulator Maintenance Discussion: Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By the way... That filter you mention for the Cousteau 1st stage (Aqualung part # 106829)can be replaced with the Trident part # A197. perfect fit.... I am currently working on a different , non SCUBA supplier for them and I believe I have one. Details coming this week probably.

It is also the same filter that Mares uses for the V16 1st stage if you happen to have or have access to one of those.

Also, I do actually have one of those Cousteau kits so I could do a post on that kit as well....it would be a bunch of duplicate info but maybe helpful.

~Chris

A little late to the party, but what specialty tools do you consider a "must have" for the DIY guy?

This Trident filter part # A197 is not such a great fit. Disregard that comment.

By the way... That filter you mention for the Cousteau 1st stage (Aqualung part # 106829)can be replaced with the Trident part # A197. perfect fit.... I am currently working on a different , non SCUBA supplier for them and I believe I have one. Details coming this week probably.

It is also the same filter that Mares uses for the V16 1st stage if you happen to have or have access to one of those.

Also, I do actually have one of those Cousteau kits so I could do a post on that kit as well....it would be a bunch of duplicate info but maybe helpful.

~Chris

Last edited:
What a timely article.

I have a whole collection of Conshelf and Titan regulators.

The most interesting thing was a friend brought over a new to him regulator yesterday.

It is a 1967 Conshelf First, with a 1970 Conshelf 2nd, which has never been serviced, and only dived twice according to the original owner.

Just for giggles I cleaned the spiders out of the second stage, and hooked it to a tank. Hooked an IP gauge on it. Worked perfectly! Clean Lock up, no creep. Took the cover off the second, and brought the cracking pressure down to a little less than 2". Makes me almost want to dive it this weekend.

I think we should go ahead and service it just because the idea of 45 year old o rings sounds scary to me!

We did service 3 Titans on Sunday though such fun! Thanks for the information on the O rings, and the parts from McMaster Carr! Having 5 of them myself this should save on service kits.

Guy
:)

great info..

I have an old conshelf 20 first and second stage..look forward to servicing them mysef... i am a total DIY guy.

I had a royal, and the lds would not service it and said it was too old and they could not get parts.. found out here that they are the same as the conshelf...

I decided to hook it up to my pool repair hookah rig.. that way i am only in 5-8 feet of water if it craps out.

It was a little hard to breathe and the purge button would not let much air blow through....but it worked..

well it flooded one day and i switched it out for a tusa i had bought off ebay..

I figures what the heck... and took it apart... i was amazed how simple it was... cleaned and lubed everything and reassembled and it was good to go.

What IP is your hookah running? Breathing resistance on simple second stages like that are very dependent on the correct IP. If your hookah is running less than 125-130 ish, that will have a major impact on the performance. You can respring it but it will take some trial and error to come up with the correct spring.

Titan 1st stage: AL part #103111 Discontinued older type Titan 1st stage.
[...]
820038 "O-Ring" 1EA is an AS568A -xxx (Mc Master # 9464K1x) and is for the Removable crown orifice if you have that type, not all of them do.

Chris...
Great work. This is really useful info and highly appreciated!

Got a question about the quoted text. Got the impression that at the time you did the write up, you were uncertain about which standard AS568A o-ring (and which McMaster P/N) was the compatible item. I know that the system prevents you from editing original posts after a period of time - that's unfortunate. Do you know the AS568A dash number which is compatible with the Aqua Lung o-ring P/N 820038?

Thanks

If any DIYers have trouble getting tech manuals or overhaul/service kits for Aqualung (Apeks, conshelf, etc) shoot me a PM.

I've got some apparently later versions of this kit, still marked 900001, with the insert card marked Rev F 01/07, that were packed in 08 and 09. The filter washer is gone, but the rest of the parts are there, with the same part numbers.

Great thread....only just found. So hope its still live :)
I have 5 aqualung Cousteau first stages (aka conshelf SEA)
They are great regs and just go on and on.
Most of the orings are standard sizes eg 010, 011, 013 Etc BUT there is an oring at the base of the first stage that is not a standard size.
Aqualung part number is 824407 and in the service kit shadow diagram is seems to be exactly the same ID as a 013 but made of slightly thicker material.
Any idea what it is?
I am sure aqualung don't make one oring themselves of a size only known to them:)
If it's not a standard AS568A size - what other size range could it be from. Seems to be used in a lot of Aqualung regs. I have lots of spares of the other orings Hp sets etc, but if I can't find out what this oring is and buy it separately I'm faced with buying first stage service kits for 1 oring!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom