DIY Reef Hook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepTrip

Contributor
Reaction score
I've just retruned from dive vacation, where we encouter strong current. While chatting about the current, the divemaster reccomend a reef hook in a strong current

We've been discussing about DIY reef hook since then. My intructor give an idea to use a big hook used for fishing Marleen fish. Grind and pinch the tip to make it not too sharp. Then use a strong fishing line.

What do you guys think about this idea? Or does anyone have made such hook? Appreciate if you can share the plan. Thanks.

Benny

I use a 3 pound 4 flute folding anchor, I keep it in the weight pocket as part of my weights till needed, unfold as many flutes as needed. They can be found at West Marine stores.

The idea of using a reef hook is to hook it into the substructure, not the living reef. They can be very handy in a current and can prevent damage to a reef when properly used in situation that requires a diver to hold position on the reef.

That of course applies to a properly designed reef hook with a single prong. I am not sure the same would be true with a folding anchor.

Boogie711:
Or maybe you can avoid killing innocent coral in the first place????!!!!

Yap, as said by DA Aquamaster. There are a lot of misinterpretation that reef hook will damage the coral. That's why I think very rare, if any, dive shop who sell such hooks.

Thanks for all who reply.

DeepTrip:
I've just retruned from dive vacation, where we encouter strong current. While chatting about the current, the divemaster reccomend a reef hook in a strong current

We've been discussing about DIY reef hook since then. My intructor give an idea to use a big hook used for fishing Marleen fish. Grind and pinch the tip to make it not too sharp. Then use a strong fishing line.

What do you guys think about this idea? Or does anyone have made such hook? Appreciate if you can share the plan. Thanks.

Benny

I made one using a 12/0 hook, 6 or 7 feet of 1/8-inch nylon rope, and formed a "tee" handle with a 4 inch piece of wooden broomstick.

There's no damage to living coral if care is taken to set the hook into dead coral stone. It's never difficult to find. Most living coral, such as staghorn and finger, is too fragile to even consider hooking into and others, such as brain and pillar, don't offer places to hook in. Large pieces of rubble or rocks are best. IMHO, holding on with one's hands in a current is the really damaging practice - Blue Corner in Palau is a good example.

They might be called "reef hooks" but the only place I've ever used one is in sand to hold my place in a current, I used to sink my knife into the sand but have traded the knife for shears and that trick doesn't work with them!

Back
Top Bottom