DIY drysuit zipper replacement (front entry shell suit) Pics (~1.3mb total).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is an old thread but I would not mind to resurrect it because it is very useful subject. The original article is very inspiring because I was wondering if I should undertake such challenge as replacing a zipper. I replaced few generations of my wrist and neck seals OK myself but zipper is kinda scary to screw it up. After reading this thread my plan is however to sew it and then seal w/glue. And if conventional household sewing machine would not take it then for me it would not be a very long work to do it by simple manual stitching. Cement then can be applied along the seam from both sides of the stitch and over it. Just an alternative thought to solve the problem...

I never sewed mine. It's been two years of good diving and it still looks as good as the day I did it. Some of the aqual seal has needed touching up, but the zipper is still very solidly connected. I'm not sure how necessary sewing is.

YMMV of course.

Hunter

Like Hunter, my glued-on zippers have done fine through years of use. :)

I've given more thought to machine sewing my next replacement zipper, just for the sake of learning something, since my first attempt with a machine wasn't satisfactory.

It's really not necessary, though, since glue is easy to apply and holds great.

I think hand-sewing would present some real problems of maintaining zipper position during the sewing, unless there are some good ways to stabilize it.

You'd hate to get it mostly finished and then realize the two halves are slightly off.... :shocked2:

Dave C

LP Brett, how did you make out replacing your zipper?

Steve Gamble replaced my zipper a couple of years ago in a CF200 he glued it in. I've had no problems with that method of attachment whatsoever. In fact, after reading parts of the Airspeed press book, "Wetsuit and Drysuit Maintenance and Repair" I'm convinced that sewing the zipper isn't necessary.

I'm in the process of replacing the wrist seals at the moment, and the only thing I can suggest at the moment as for glue would be to use a glue that releases with the application of heat. When removeing the old seals I noticed they're a real problem to remove if not heated with a heat gun. Thanks goodness the proper glue was used previously on the seals.

Randy43068 - the zipper replacement went well, it didn't turn out perfectly but overall it is pretty good and completely functional. In the end it was well worth it doing it myself and I am happy with the results

On another note, I posted a how to thread in this forum with a walk through of how my swap went, you can check it out here. A special thanks to dave4868 for going at it first, without his thoughts, pictures and general bravery in cutting into his suit I would probably still be getting out of the water every time with wet shoulders.

I see that Dive Right In Scuba now sells YKK zippers for $129 Bucks

---------- Post Merged on August 15th, 2012 at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous Post was on August 14th, 2012 at 11:48 PM ----------

I can't find s-18 contact cement here in Canada anywhere. Can anybody tell me what would be the BEST alternative that is more readily available? Would drysuit glue work? What should I use???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom