DIY Dry Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We use them for messing with liquid propane....not sure my boss would like that too much!

I have the 465 on the way anyway.

I find the fit of the 460, 465, 490, 495, 660 and the like gloves to be too big and sloppy. Also the PVC material becomes stiff when cold making the gloves uncomfortable to me.

I really like the 720/720R gloves they start out fitting a little snug but relax a little with use and they stay much more supple during and after dives in the cold.

SHOWA sent me some 465s that I used the removable yellow glove with the 720s they sent me. I switched to a thinner ski glove liner-glove that provided just as much warm with better dexterity than the thick yellow acrylic gloves.

There is an ebay source for the SHOWA 720 gloves....you can buy them as a single set for about $7.00 US.

-Z

My neoprene wrist seals have the smooth liner on the inside. I have read that the smooth liner would have to be on the outside (and folded in to seal) to get any ring system to work. The only ring system that would work (that I can't find any reviews on) is made by Northern Diver;

I really like the si-tech wrist seal systems. My wife has a neoprene drysuit that has the QCS oval system installed. I imagine you would need to remove your neoprene wrist seals and glue the PU ring of the QCS system in place. the rest just presses together.

With the QCS oval system you would have a choice of direct fit dryglove systems as follows:
Si-Tech Antares - not recommended (by me and lots of others)
Si-Tech Virgo
Waterproof Ultima DGS - highly recommended (by me)
Fourth Element Ellipse

With the Si-Tech round cuff system you would have the choice of:
Si-Tech quick glove - not recommended (by me and others)
Si-Tech glove lock - highly recommended (by me)

-Z

I find the fit of the 460, 465, 490, 495, 660 and the like gloves to be too big and sloppy. Also the PVC material becomes stiff when cold making the gloves uncomfortable to me.

I really like the 720/720R gloves they start out fitting a little snug but relax a little with use and they stay much more supple during and after dives in the cold.

SHOWA sent me some 465s that I used the removable yellow glove with the 720s they sent me. I switched to a thinner ski glove liner-glove that provided just as much warm with better dexterity than the thick yellow acrylic gloves.

There is an ebay source for the SHOWA 720 gloves....you can buy them as a single set for about $7.00 US.

-Z

I've seen the ebay store, I think it's right around $8, but neither here nor there. Good to know about the 720's. If the glue works it'll be better than the online sources (except for maybe seaskin, their price is hard to beat). I would assume Seaskin uses the 660's though.
Lined Dry Gloves with Wrist Seal - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits

I really like the si-tech wrist seal systems. My wife has a neoprene drysuit that has the QCS oval system installed. I imagine you would need to remove your neoprene wrist seals and glue the PU ring of the QCS system in place. the rest just presses together.

With the QCS oval system you would have a choice of direct fit dryglove systems as follows:
Si-Tech Antares - not recommended (by me and lots of others)
Si-Tech Virgo
Waterproof Ultima DGS - highly recommended (by me)
Fourth Element Ellipse

With the Si-Tech round cuff system you would have the choice of:
Si-Tech quick glove - not recommended (by me and others)
Si-Tech glove lock - highly recommended (by me)

-Z

When you get a chance can you post a few pictures of the wrist sytem on her suit? I have yet to be able to find a video or pictures showing how this would work on a neoprene ds...everywhere is latex.

Did you do the work yourself?

@rob.mwpropane what is your end goal? To use 720's? Or just find a reliable dry glove to use with your suit? What is your budget? With this information we will collectively be able to get you the recommended outcome. If it is to just get a low cost dry glove let us know. There are so many different options available it is hard to help without specifics.

@rob.mwpropane what is your end goal? To use 720's? Or just find a reliable dry glove to use with your suit? What is your budget? With this information we will collectively be able to get you the recommended outcome. If it is to just get a low cost dry glove let us know. There are so many different options available it is hard to help without specifics.

A few things, and thanks for asking.
1.) Use the 720's because that's what you both are raving about, so I'm in
2.) build a low cost drysuit glove that doesn't attach to my ds (as pictured in the 1st post). I'm not ready to cut my perfectly fine neoprene seals just yet.
3.) (the reason for #2) learn to glue on something that's cheap and expendable

Ideally I'd like to stay less than $50 until I have a good feel for using the glue, and then I'll probably spring for a ring system. I'd like to be able to install / glue them myself and save some $ (and learn).

Re fancy glue;

I used to use pb300 or the DRIS-cement-from-the-same-factory. On the last set, I just used DAP weldwood and it appears to be just as good, easy to get and cheap. Again, the gloves shrink until I'm forced to replace them. Never had a glove failure due to contact cement failure.

Re fancy glue;

I used to use pb300 or the DRIS-cement-from-the-same-factory. On the last set, I just used DAP weldwood and it appears to be just as good, easy to get and cheap. Again, the gloves shrink until I'm forced to replace them. Never had a glove failure due to contact cement failure.

Which gloves? What type of material?

Awesome about the DAP weldwood. I knew there was a cheap alternative over anything marketed for scuba / drysuits.

Edit: Home Depot has 32oz for $14
DAP Weldwood 32 fl. oz. Original Contact Cement-00272 - The Home Depot

Which gloves? What type of material?

Awesome about the DAP weldwood. I knew there was a cheap alternative over anything marketed for scuba / drysuits.

Edit: Home Depot has 32oz for $14
DAP Weldwood 32 fl. oz. Original Contact Cement-00272 - The Home Depot

The lettering is long gone before they start to really shrink. Found the spare in the scuba-car...Blue Atlas 660 XL (with Army surplus wool liners) Interested in trying the nitrile gloves soon re flexibility.
The weldwood glue is available almost everywhere so you could just buy the tiny can if you don't trust old stored-already-opened glue.

I am going to skip around here:

#2. The cheapest way to get a dry glove system with your current setup and no modification to your suit. Buy cheap rubber pull over gloves like this: Super Grip Black Dry Glove
Then order this:
Dry Adhesive Drysuit Latex Wrist Seals

Put the two together and you have close to what you are looking for (not the exact glove but same system of attachment) Total $46.
You could use glue instead of the tape there is really no difference. The tape works well.

#3. Do the same as above with glue ($12), buying just the seals without the tape. Making the total ~$51

#1. Unfortunately I do not believe the Nitrile 720's will glue to a latex seal. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. They will only seal with a ring system installed. This is due to the fact that they have a liner built in that would prevent sealing without folding the gloves over on themselves.

The real hiccup in the whole process is the neoprene seals currently on your suit. I understand the hesitancy of wanting to replace what is perfectly fine. But, follow along with me for a second. Here is an idea you have not thought of. Take a heat gun to your current seal/suit. Remove the existing wrist seals. Then use Aquaseal (without the cotol accelerate) to glue latex seals on. *or a Si tech oval ring. This would allow you the option to then use a ring system with the 720's. It sounds like a lot but the most expensive part is the ring system. The ultima goes for like $170. If you added an oval cuff ring to the suit that would add an additional $69. But isn't exactly necessary. You could still mount the ultima system to a plain latex seal.

Run down:
Ultima rings ~$170
Latex seals ~$25
Aqualseal ~$12
720's ~$free if you call them
Oval rings ~$69 but not needed

The reason I am recommending you use Aquaseal over glue is the cure time. It allows you to glue without worrying about making a mistake. The cure time is like 12 hours. So you can glue the suit and the seal and press them together, if your alignment isn't correct you can fix it without having to start over again. Using the glue isn't difficult but does not leave much room for error. Once the two pieces contact each other that is it. If the alignment isn't good you have to start over. A trick to this would be to use a cut up piece of ziplock bag in between the seal and suit until alignment is perfect then remove the ziplock.

Unfortunately this is the reality of having the neoprene seals with the smooth side inwards. You could also try the dry 5 gloves, I know they are neoprene but they might fit your need. They have a built in cuff (not a full latex seal) that slows the migration of water, keeping your hands warmer. I was in a similar situation as you are about 3 years ago but with a trilam suit that had latex seals. After many different attempts I settled on the ultima rings, 720's. I wish I had just done it in the beginning, I would have saved a lot of $$ and aggravation. Kind of a buy once cry once sort of thing.

There are endless combinations that I could think of. What I said above isn't the bible. I am just speaking on experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom