DIY Dry Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Good day all. I've done a good bit of digging before starting this thread. First off, I know this project is a little trivial and I could just buy the gloves from a few reputable online stores. The issue is that won't give me any experience glueing latex and fixing a drysuit, and since I'm cheap and I'd like to do my own repairs I figured this would be a fun project and a good place to start. If I mess up, not really a big deal.

I'm looking to build these;
blugloveswithseals.png

I know the gloves are Showa 720's and I have no problem sourcing them. Picking up a set of latex bottleneck wrist seals shouldn't be an issue, it's the glue that I'm having an issue with. From older threads it seams PB-300 was a good glue. In the UK they have Rema Tip Top SC4000 and I'm trying to source it now. Looks to be good stuff and it comes with the hardener. Aquaseal is also an option, but it doesn't come with a hardener and to be honest anything with "aqua" this or "scuba" that usually has a hefty price tag. Rema Tip Top SC4000 is for bonding conveyor belts together (I suspect it's really all the same). I know DRIS has glue, but I'm specifically looking for something commercial grade that I can buy for cheap.

Does anyone have sources to be able to locate where to get good glue. How much should I buy and how long can I expect it to last in the can (storage life on the shelf)?

I have also watched a good many youtube videos, specifically here;
Dry Suits Projects
They seem to have a lot of good info. I asked them about glue and they said they use the Rema Tip Top SC4000.

Thanks all, will try to get all the pieces and assemble over the Christmas holiday and post pictures when I'm done. Excited to have a drysuit, it'll be nice to have a set of dry gloves to go with it.

Anybody? Nobody works on their own suit?

For now I'll stuck with DRIS. They've been pretty helpful guiding through emails for what to do.

I make my own Zip Gloves. I know I could just buy a new pair for almost $200 but that would just be perverted and wierd.
Interestingly, I only have to replace the Atlas 620 gloves periodically due to shrinkage. I've saved thousands of dollars that I was able to easily covert to BEER.

Actually, that was one of the 1st pages I came across. They're expensive for what they are. 4oz PB-300 is $30, where as DRIS sells 4oz for $12. Also, OMS latex wrist seals are $100 for the pair...most everyone else is $20-$25. Is OMS latex any different than anyone else?

I make my own Zip Gloves. I know I could just buy a new pair for almost $200 but that would just be perverted and wierd.
Interestingly, I only have to replace the Atlas 620 gloves periodically due to shrinkage. I've saved thousands of dollars that I was able to easily covert to BEER.

$200, lol. Why so much, labor? Interesting about the shrinkage.

I have read the 720's give slightly more dexterity and seem to last longer than the 660's? I plan to try both. I actually have a few trial pairs of Showas on the way as they don't show a size chart and they're nice enough to send a trial box.

So far I plan to get 4oz of glue from DRIS, and maybe order a few wrist seals from Seaskin. I should be able to build a dry glove like in my first post for ~ $30.

#1 those are not showa 720's. Those look like 660's.

#2. If they are 660's you will need to use M.E.K. to prep the glove before gluing the seal on. This is because the glove has a pvc coating.

#3. The 720's are nitrile. I do not believe, even with mek, you could get the glue to adhere.

#4. I see no reason you couldn't get a pair of gloves for $6 to $10 then buy the glue from DRIS for $12. Add any latex seal you want for $25. Probably take you about 20 minutes to prep and glue it all together. You would have enough glue to do atleast 6 pair. The glue does not store well. So I would do as many at one time as possible.

#5. Good luck.

#2. If they are 660's you will need to use M.E.K. to prep the glove before gluing the seal on. This is because the glove has a pvc coating.

#3. The 720's are nitrile. I do not believe, even with mek, you could get the glue to adhere.

#4. I see no reason you couldn't get a pair of gloves for $6 to $10 then buy the glue from DRIS for $12. Add any latex seal you want for $25. Probably take you about 20 minutes to prep and glue it all together. You would have enough glue to do atleast 6 pair. The glue does not store well. So I would do as many at one time as possible.

#5. Good luck.

Thanks for the response. Can you expand on #2? I have not heard of this? I thought the glue was more of a bonding agent where it melted both materials and welded them together?

OP,
I am not familiar with the Rema Tip-Top product that you mentioned, but I am familiar with the brand....Rema Tip-Top has been making bicycle inner tube patch kits for eons. The glue they include in their kits is not contact cement, it is vulcanizing fluid. Contact cement just adheres two pieces of material together in a physical bond created by the contact cement. When done properly, vulcanizing fluid creates a chemical bond between the two pieces being adhered together. You would want to check what exactly is the product you indicated and if the material in the gloves is compatible with the that product from a bonding standpoint

#3. The 720's are nitrile. I do not believe, even with mek, you could get the glue to adhere.....

I agree, my first thought was those don't look like any of the SHOWA 720 gloves my wife and I have.

The 720 glove is nitrile but I believe the shiny blue area at the wrist may be pvc.

My recommendation if the OP is looking to mess with glues and all, is to glue a set of Si-tech PU rings into his drysuit sleeve and then use choice of silicone or latex wrist seals along with a ring system like the Waterproof Ultimate dryglove system or one of the si-tech systems. This will give him field replaceable wrist seals and gloves without the hassle of messing with glue ever again after the PU rings are in place.

DRIS sells the si-tech ring systems for between $63 (round system) and $68 (oval system).

-Z

OP,
I am not familiar with the Rema Tip-Top product that you mentioned, but I am familiar with the brand....Rema Tip-Top has been making bicycle inner tube patch kits for eons. The glue they include in their kits is not contact cement, it is vulcanizing fluid. Contact cement just adheres two pieces of material together in a physical bond created by the contact cement. When done properly, vulcanizing fluid creates a chemical bond between the two pieces being adhered together. You would want to check what exactly is the product you indicated and if the material in the gloves is compatible with the that product from a bonding standpoint

I agree, my first thought was those don't look like any of the SHOWA 720 gloves my wife and I have.

The 720 glove is nitrile but I believe the shiny blue area at the wrist may be pvc.

My recommendation if the OP is looking to mess with glues and all, is to glue a set of Si-tech PU rings into his drysuit sleeve and then use choice of silicone or latex wrist seals along with a ring system like the Waterproof Ultimate dryglove system or one of the si-tech systems. This will give him field replaceable wrist seals and gloves without the hassle of messing with glue ever again after the PU rings are in place.

DRIS sells the si-tech ring systems for between $63 (round system) and $68 (oval system).

-Z

Actually, I came across your thread in my searches;
SHOWA 720 gloves FTW

The Rema Tip Top SC4000 is something it seems they use in EU. The company has a location here, but I couldn't get anywhere with them.

Do you know what glove the 465 is (I'm hoping it's the 660 just with a liner)? I got a few pair of those as well. I asked for the 720's and the 465's. If I have to buy a pair of 660's, that's ok, I should be able to gauge what size I need based off of the the other gloves (I hope).

My suit is neoprene with neoprene wrist seals. It's practically brand new, so I would hate to cut a seal off that works now just to botch something and be down a suit, hence why I'd like to try doing the gloves. I would get the practice gluing without risking my suit.

As far as using M.E.K. I could get it from Home Depot. I was told by DRIS to scuff up the surface of the glove and the seal, clean with acetone, then glue together. I don't know if their glue would work on nitrile, and I looked at the data sheet for the 720 compared to the 660. 720 says nothing about pvc and the material looks different.

SHOWA 660 | Showa Gloves
SHOWA 720R | Showa Gloves

Thanks for the response. Can you expand on #2? I have not heard of this? I thought the glue was more of a bonding agent where it melted both materials and welded them together?

I can assure you that the pb300 glue is not a bonding agent. It is more like rubber cement. It adheres 2 materials together via contact. It does not vulcanize the material at all. It dries flexible and "melts" when heated. (not really melts but becomes runny again)

The m.e.k. is used to clean the surface of contamination and can also be used as an activator with pb300. To assist in the hardening phase of the bond.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom