Diy Dry Glove Replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lambsfarm 13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
this is not stictly diy, but i changed both my dc dry gloves by my self with no tools. took a bit of cursing & grip of steel but it only took about 1min per glove! i even took one back off to check i did it was ok & it was. much easier than i thought it would be.

I change my gloves without tools- I use both hands and a knee. I think it helps to have the right size o-rings. I recently bought another set of glove rings and suit connectors and the o-rings that came with it seemed way too small. I'll probably try to pick up bigger ones from the scuba aisle at the local hardware store (AKA plumbing department). I think it's also easier to install the gloves with the removeable liner.

Also note that there are two different sizes of DC gloves and they are not interchangeable. I think the smaller size is pretty rare.

ha ha. i think it was yor thread a while ago i read. yep put o ring in turn it around so that section is on knee press really hard so it doesnt unravel & pull last section on, easy!!! what about all the jigs n special tools i am supposed to use to do this??!!!
thanks for the original info

what about all the jigs n special tools i am supposed to use to do this??!!!
Tools? All I've ever used was a couple of "A" clamps to help hold the o-ring in place when I started. They're usually two for a dollar at Lowe's, and they're about two inches in size, so I toss a couple in the save-a-dive kit. That and a popsicle stick or pencil (the old, wood kind) makes the job a lot easier on the fingers, although it's certainly possible to do it without either.

I can't believe there's any reason to buy any "special" tools for this task. Do people seriously?

Tools?
I can't believe there's any reason to buy any "special" tools for this task. Do people seriously?

Hi Camerone,

You can actually make a version of DC's tool out of a 1" section of a PVC pipe. It makes life much easiers. No swearing, no fuss. I have several of these, and they are much better than using spring clamps (which I used to do). :wink:

Hi Camerone,

You can actually make a version of DC's tool out of a 1" section of a PVC pipe. It makes life much easiers. No swearing, no fuss. I have several of these, and they are much better than using spring clamps (which I used to do). :wink:

Got pics?

Ah, finally, the updated link! Thanks!

Bought my set used, no tool, no instructions, but gloves were set up. Haven't had to change before now, but I think I may have a pin hole in my thumb and I realized I couldn't find any info on how to change them out...

Ah, finally, the updated link! Thanks!

Bought my set used, no tool, no instructions, but gloves were set up. Haven't had to change before now, but I think I may have a pin hole in my thumb and I realized I couldn't find any info on how to change them out...
You can patch those holes with PVC glue that plumbers use on PVC pipe- look in the cave diving aisle of your local hardware store. I use the clear and flexible stuff. I think it's a solvent weld, so it doesn't leave a big bump like Aquaseal.

Of course, the gloves are relatively cheap, so there is a balance between patching and replacing.

Got pics?

Linkage: TDS Glove Thread

Pick your glove style (standard on the left, or Hamburger Helper on the right) - both are easy to do with the tool.

If you're in Avalon this weekend I can walk you through it. We can replace gloves in about 5 minutes now. I carry a couple of spares in my bag and the tool in my Dry Box on every dive now.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom