DIY dive computer pressure test chamber. Under $80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trying to find that online and not finding quite the same thing- If you get a chance please post the model number form the housing.

Thanks!

Normally testers involve a plunger. The computer is pressurised out of the water, then immersed and the pressure reduced. If bubbles escape you know the item is not sealed properly and no water gets in to prove it.

Picked up the over-size clear water filter made by GE at lowes today, capped off the exit... extended and drilled a hole in the "inlet" and pulled a car tire valve thru.... bam.... works great. just pump a little air in it after you fill with water...View attachment 149853

I did the same thing but instead put an adapter on the inlet to accept a garden hose. The water line pressure in my house is roughly equiv. to 125ft (30-50 limit switch on pump).
Works great

I do all my deep diving this way, much safer. :wink:

Wow...Spectacular...Can you make one big enough to test camera housings in? LOL

Thanks for the idea.

I Used a different "chamber" as all of the GE water filters here in the great white north were opaque.

I sourced a Watts Big Clear filter ($80 Cdn) at home depot and then added about $10 more plumbing hardware and a car tire valve stem to come up with something very similar to your picture.

The Watts is rated at 80 psi with very large warnings not to exceed. I was able to get 200 depth on my first test but had a slow leak. Leak was not a worry as it was about 2 feet per minute at the very deep depths. I used an el cheapo bicycle pump to add air. Pump said 95 psi. But who knows.

This filter case is large enough to hold my point and shoot camera housing but I do not think it will swallow a DSLR housing.

The toughest part was getting the plumbing bits as the filter had a 1in fittings and I had to go to specialty plumbing supply store to get the bits.

going to try to post some pictures here - and yes it will fit my sea & sea dx1g camera housing since that was one of the reasons I wanted a chamber. Other reason was that I am now replacing batteries in my vintage Uwatec Aladin dive computers.

M0032159.jpgM0032160.jpgM0032161.jpgM0032162.jpgM0032117.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom