DIY Canister Light and Lighthead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Padipro:
wk2000...

You said that you made the O-ring for the mag-lite head from O-ring stock. I've done this before myself and have had mixed results. It's difficult to get the measurement right when making an O-ring that fits on the inside of something. It usually turns out just a little to small to seal properly. The O-ring must be large enough to seal against the outside walls of the reflector housing as well as the lens and bulb. Also make sure that the mating ends are perfectly aligned and that there is no excess glue squeezed out. This is critical as misaligned ends will allow water past the O-ring and the excess glue forms a ridge that will do the same thing. My suggestion is to go to a hardware store in the area and try to match up an O-ring with the mag-lite. I did this and found an O-ring that fit perfectly and has worked flawlessly every time. If the O-ring just drops into the top of the mag-lite then it's probably to small, it should be just a hair to large to just drop in and therefore will need to be pushed into the reflector housing as the retaining ring is screwed down forming a nice tight seal. Make sure to take the light head along with you to check the fit. The retainer ring should screw all the way down on the reflector housing just like it did on the flash light before it was modified. Also look at the front of the light head when everything is in place and assembled. There should be a nice black ring all the way around the glass lens indicating that the O-ring is sealed against the lens.

As for the Sealcon fitting leaking, you said that you installed an O-ring under the base before it was installed in the light head end cap but did you counter sink the surface of the end cap to allow the O-ring to seal and not be squeezed out? this is very important as it gives the O-ring something to seal against on the sides. If you don't counter sink the area around the hole it will usually leak regaurdless of how much thread tape you use.

If you're worried about the material thickness of the end cap and how it will hold I'd suggest filling the end cap with JB Weld first and then drilling and tapping the entire thing. That will give you a nice thick surface to tap and for the threads of the fitting to screw into. If you've already drilled the end cap just put a bit of tape over the hole before you fill it.

The Acrylic is a PITA to cut. It melts very easy so as you're cutting it the heat from the saw blade melts the stuff and causes the blade to stick. I found it was easier to cut the stuff with a hand saw as close to the shape I needed as possible and then, using a disk sander, sand it to the final shape.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Acrylic is a pain in the butt! I would definitely do the UHMW plastic lid, or 3/4" polypropylene again. It's stiff, and no worries about cracking. Only problem is that it's impossible to glue to. Eh, drive in a screw and who cares.. you can't see it after it's in like acrylic.

Padipro I tested my second gen. light and it failed... how disappointing to see H2O in the bulb after just dropping it into the bucket!

I think it all boils down to that "perfect oring" that seals the bulb to the maglight. if that happens, there's pressure up as well and seals the light again.

Tell you what... I'll trade you a "perfect" MR-16 socket that's super small for an oring!! (I bought 10 on ebay)

OK- I'm going to JB weld the light endcap, redrill & tap it for the Sealcon cord gland. We'll see- sounds like it should work!

And off to search for the perfect lighthead retaining ring O-ring!

Thanks for the tips- Ill report back with the results!

and a Philips bulb, without the oring in place. Sorry about the Teflon tape. You can see how the bulb sits down in the groove already. I think it was a sylvania bulb I used first, and it didn't fit , requiring some grinding out of the groove.

My opinion, for what its worth, use the Philips bulb, and leave the machining to Maglite! Only problem is finding THE ORING.
(Does this make Padipro THE LORD OF THE ORINGS?)

Scott your new sockets are on their way... They should look like the second picture attached here.

I think I see the trouble already. The O-ring is sitting down to far, around the outside of the bulb. It should sit on top of the bulb around the outside edge. Something like the attached pictures.

Thanks for the sockets. They are small and should work great.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Padipro:
I think I see the trouble already. The O-ring is sitting down to far, around the outside of the bulb. It should sit on top of the bulb around the outside edge. Something like the attached pictures.

Thanks for the sockets. They are small and should work great.

Let me know if you need any more help.

The pic I took didn't have an oring under the bulb, but now I realize that's only for pressure fitting? It looks like the oring ABOVE the bulb is the one that really seals the lighthead in the front. the others seem to simply maintain pressure on the crucial one, the oring between the bulb face and the maglite.

unfix8r:
The pic I took didn't have an oring under the bulb, but now I realize that's only for pressure fitting? It looks like the oring ABOVE the bulb is the one that really seals the lighthead in the front. the others seem to simply maintain pressure on the crucial one, the oring between the bulb face and the maglite.

There doesn't need to be an O-ring under the bulb only on top of it to seal the glass lens and around the inside edge of the reflector housing. And yes that one is the critical O-ring. The little one that is in the retaining ring is only there because it came in the mag-lite to start with, you probably don't even need it but as long as it's there I just use it.

So, when you look at that picture abovewith the Philips bulb... I didn't grind out the maglight at all. Does it look like that's going to be okay without further grinding?

unfix8r:
So, when you look at that picture abovewith the Philips bulb... I didn't grind out the maglight at all. Does it look like that's going to be okay without further grinding?

If you can get the O-ring to sit on top of the edge of the bulb instead of around the edge I think it might work. The way to tell is to assemble everything and see if the retainer ring will screw all the way down. If it gets so tight that you can't turn it any more and there is still a gap between the reflector housing and the bottom edge of the retainer ring that I'd say you need to deepen the groove. I didn't widen the groove any only deepened it so that I could screw the retainer ring all the way down.

A-HA. I see why my last lightheads failed now.. I was trying seal the bulb behind the bulb, not in front of it. All that work and thought, wasted. Well, the NEXT one will be better!

hey all

first time i have seen this thread going, but have been working on my light on and off now for a LONG LONG time. I am a unniveristy student, and dont really have the tools that are needed. Probably should have thought about that before i started, but i am already into this project for some serious cash, ie i have all the parts. Are their any ideas out there for a good canister that wont leak and wont require me to work a drill press or lathe. I am considering just totally sealing off the batteries in the canister and having an external plug for the charger. i know this is the wrong thing to do but in reality i just cant get my canister not to leak. Any help out there?????? Or anyone wanna sell an old canister? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom