DIY backplate and harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you considered using Stainless sheet instead of aluminum? It is strong and may not be much heavier depending on the thickness of aluminum that you are using. I made a STA out of 11 gage SS and it is works well.

I thought about stainless, but the cost is higher, the machine work slower, and the bending is harder to do. For the price of one stainless backplate I can make more than two aluminum. Lastly, I wanted low weight for traveling. While stainless may make a better backplate in the long run, aluminum makes sense for me to try out for now. If I love the one I make, I can always redo it in stainless.

jcadwell:
I thought about stainless, but the cost is higher, the machine work slower, and the bending is harder to do. For the price of one stainless backplate I can make more than two aluminum. Lastly, I wanted low weight for traveling. While stainless may make a better backplate in the long run, aluminum makes sense for me to try out for now. If I love the one I make, I can always redo it in stainless.

The advantage of SS is the greater weight. Backplates really see very modest working loads. .125" AL is more than strong enough.

Tobin

Well I finished it. Looks like it will work great. It fits nicely, and was all homemade. It is not very heavy, and lays REALLY flat for luggage. Much better than a BC.

I sanded the surface of the aluminum with an orbital sander, so it looks swirly. It doesn't come out in the pictures, but looks good in real life.

I made the straps from 2" webbing, and sewed velcro onto the straps for retaining loose ends. I added two stainless D rings on the shoulder harness, and a D ring on the crotch strap. I bought two pouches from REI to put weights in, and added rivets to hold them on.

Total cost in materials was perhaps 60$. Metal was 20$. Could be done much cheaper without buckles, snaps, etc.

DSCN0987.jpg

DSCN0986.jpg

DSCN0984.jpg

Nice job! I prefer a HOG harness but the one you've come up with looks really functional and not too cluttered up. Did you rivet the pockets on permanently? Can you reposition them should you need to or want to add a can light and carry it on the belt?

I actually used snaps. I called them rivets, as they are swaged on. So yes, the pockets can be removed. The straps hold the pockets on redundantly. I wanted some form of dumpable weight, and this allows for it. It also sits really close to the backplate, so it eliminates the "weight belt" feeling, as the plate supports the weight. Hopefully it works... :)

nice...I like to see DIY success stories! I am about to have my own design built. My design is a 304L SS backplate, the twist is that my design is a single tank, NO STA REQUIRED, design....will post pics soon. I got a lot of good information from this and other SB threads.....just wanted to say thanks for the info.

Got a lot of good ideas from your posts....thanks for the info. Here is my singles, NO STA REQUIRED, 304L SS backplate....what do you think?
dive_rig_REV3.jpg

Nice plate, Mine is very similar, but no inserts, made by an australian company called blackart, only problem is you can't use wings lilke the Mach V.

Plug

Back
Top Bottom