Diving without BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all, I have been blown away by all the responses! And I had no idea that the vintage vs modern diving was a 'thing'. Very interesting. I also enjoy the nostalgia. I'm Australian (Wollongong is a city on the NSW Coast), but my father was from Santa Barbara, California - beautiful spot, I lived there for a couple years on one of my father's mate's boats in the marina. He used to work at Wilson Marine and probably built a few of the boats that guys on this forum would have used to get to the islands. Yes times have changed. My Dad considers himself somewhat of a naturalist, but back then *guys he knew* would take garden sheers and cut out chunks of the kelp forests that got in the way of their surfing. I think you'd get arrested for that now.

But it's been a very helpful discussion - I know enough to make a decision. It's definitely possible and something if he wants to do, then great. In fact, I think I want to do the vintage thing at some point in my progression. But yes I'm very inexperienced (PADI Open Water but not advanced) and it would have to be 30 years since he's been in the water (cert with NAUI) so his skills are likely not much better than mine at the moment. Therefore we'll rent some gear and do a refresher course with the LDS. But until he's got his skills up to date I won't consider going with him without a BC - it's nice to know he can though at some point.

2airishuman - you seem to know a bit about these regs. Where would I go to find out more? I really want to get them working (or at least the best one which sounds like the calypso). I planned to do just that - being take the 2nd stage off one 1st stage and add it as an alternate to the other. I have tried a google search but only seem to come up with Conshelf XIV - whatever that is.

Thanks again.
I think that you have taken the most important bit from the entire discussion - you can dive with no BCD but it takes a lot of skill and practise which is something you and your dad seem to acknowledge. Get a few dives in (probably quite a few) until you are really comfortable diving and then it might be something to consider.

To the original OP, when you enter the water, you enter an environment where you are foreign since you are a land mammal.

You can dive without a BC? Yes, but why? Save money ? Not worth it.
You can dive without an SPG and use a J-valve? Yes but why? Save money? Not worth it.
You can dive with one 2nd stage and buddy breath if one of you is out or low on air? Yes but why? Save money? Not worth it.

Most dive equipment today has matured and made diving safer and more enjoyable. The enjoyment you and your dad gets from diving safely and in comfort is priceless. Worth it|? Absolutely yes.
This. Modern technology makes life simpler and safer.

It's perfectly possible to drive a '67 Ford, but in the long run a '19 Toyota will be both safer and more comfortable, particularly for the inexperienced driver. I do understand that some people enjoy driving their '67 Ford occasionally, though. Even if that isn't my thing.

It's perfectly possible to dive a double hose reg backpack rig, but in the long run a BCD and a modern reg set with a donatable backup 2nd will be both safer and more comfortable, particularly for the inexperienced diver. I do understand that some people enjoy diving their double hose reg backpack rig occasionally, though. Even if that isn't my thing.

Now that we have once again agreed that 5 lbs of air weighs 5 lbs; possibly a more relevant issue about tanks and no bc diving could be mentioned. In general the old school diving was done with smaller tanks and those tanks were not near as negative as some large hp modern tanks.

The old school method generally required the carrying of some ditchable lead. If you try to emulate the old school
Practice and use a heavy steel tank, you may be required to eliminate any ditchable ballast. In my opinion, this would be adding a significant risk - that should be avoided if possible.

That's an excellent point, again related to trouble at the surface.

History of the wet suit deleted

Just to keep @W W Meixner happy
Strongly suggest all the other posters also delete all posts not directly and specially related to the OP original question --

We must at all cost keep @W W Meixner happy -- SCUBA Board can not allow a cardiac event as a result of an early AM informative fun post

To learn about the accidental discovery of the wet suit; it becoming a secret Korean war item and it introduction into the civilian market please contact @W W Meixner

Or purchase my forth coming book " The was it was... SCUBA stories for my freinds"

SDM

Or on the bottom. Blow and go was definitely in the vernacular.

Another thread topic, another discussion. But other than the very rare situation of a diver with steel doubles, diving deep in a thick wetsuit who has a catastrophic gas failure or a medical event at the beginning of the dive and no redundant gas supply, ditching weights should only be done on the surface if you are properly weighted...

If a diver looses his gas supply and is alone and has no bc and no redundant gas supply and is wearing a wetsuit that has undergone considerable compression, dropping some lead at depth was absolutely in the play book. Swimming up would be the preferred plan A, but one hand would probably be over the head and the other on the weight belt buckle.

Without a bc and when wearing a wet suit, a diver is strongly compelled to get his ballast right. That means that should he reach the surface, dropping lead should NOT be an immediate priority since the suit is bouyant. Ditching at depth is the get out of jail card, but you might get a trip to the chamber.

Also steel 70’s were not that negative, you still need a good bit of lead with a thick suit.

Folks...

I believe the OP's question...is long answered...the rest of you...including the novellas...are miles off topic...

For the OP and his father...it's a one word answer...with a brief explanation...end...

Where's the moderators...

W...

I agree that the question was answered but the discussion that followed was interesting. As usual there are many sides to a story and its good to hear from all sides even if there is respectful disagreement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom