Diving without a mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds improbable since the refractive power of the eye's corneal surface, a key to clear vision, is greatly reduced underwater. The different densities of air and water cause the problem. Water has similar density to fluids inside the eye, so refraction is limited as light passes into the eye. Dude, you might want to get that SEEN about. :wink:

I saw a program that dealt with visual acuity UW. I think the divers were looking for pearls or something similar. They were diving without masks. IIRC, there seemed to be some sort of adaptive process, over time, which allowed them to see quite well without a mask. They showed what the differences in appearance between the adapted diver and a non adapted diver.

I must admit - I think that some people can definitely see better U/W than others. I have also read things about people being essentially blind U/W without a mask. I'm not. OK - I can't read gauges very well - but I can make out a bit from an analog gauge. Computers would be too much. I really wouldn't be too much bothered though if I lost my mask and had to surface without it. I wouldn't be swimming around bumping into things either.
I also did a LOT of competetive swimming when I was younger. We didn't use goggles back then either. I could easily believe that eyes can adapt somewhat to water with training - after all, it's all just muscles isn't it?

Years ago I read that it was possible to wear a contact lens that would provide clear vision underwater. Freedivers trying to set depth records would use them to avoid having to equalize a mask. I always wondered if someone who needed glasses above water might be able to see underwater because of the refraction of the water acting as their glasses. Any opticians on the board who could comment.

Captain

ShakaZulu:
The salt water makes a difference, I can't even read my computor without my mask.........

If you see well without the mask, be certain you will see much, much better with it. You have to be missing a lot!

Kim:
I must admit - I think that some people can definitely see better U/W than others. I have also read things about people being essentially blind U/W without a mask. I'm not. OK - I can't read gauges very well - but I can make out a bit from an analog gauge. Computers would be too much. I really wouldn't be too much bothered though if I lost my mask and had to surface without it. I wouldn't be swimming around bumping into things either.
I also did a LOT of competetive swimming when I was younger. We didn't use goggles back then either. I could easily believe that eyes can adapt somewhat to water with training - after all, it's all just muscles isn't it?

It's all about visual acuity and laws of physics. Muscles are essential to eye movement.

Ondine:
It's all about visual acuity and laws of physics. Muscles are essential to eye movement.
And perhaps the brain also adapts, improving its interpretation of the signals coming through the optic nerves.

Lets just say that apart from a few well trained (by freediving maskless) folks, that most of us feel our vision without a mask is blurry, its not blind, but its not clear and sharp as would be with a mask and air pocket in front of your eyes. I might just about be able to make out a gauge, but really i prefer the mask to not!! Some people dont like the cold shock of water on their face when taking off a mask, then there is the visual distortion, and of course water up the nose feeling. If you can see well without, go right ahead, but 99% of us dont feel its quite as good without.

All you have to do is lace your fingers together, hold your cupped hands tightly against your forehead and exhale into your hands forming an air bubble around your eyes.

You can see just fine and you don't need no stinkin mask.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom