Diving without a buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know all too well, that 20' deep is just as dangerous as 100' deep. It's been my experience that it's at shallow depth that people are most complacent.

The two life threatening circumstances I was in this year were in less than 10' of water. One was my fault, one was no one's fault.

With buddy or not, I don't feel that 10 or 20' is just as dangerous as 100'. At least in my case. I've heard of people doing some sort of CESA from 100' but I wouldn't want to try it. I treat every dive as if it were my first. While I don't doubt what you say is absolutely true, it is a diver's fault if complacent because it's shallow. Would you say that diving at 20' is more dangerous that snorkelling down 20', even though you have a tank in case of entrapment? Then again, you're never supposed to snorkel or even swim anywhere by yourself either.

I'm still new to diving, but my two dive buddies live about 30 minutes away, all scheduled dive clubs are intermittent and i live on a lake that I'd like to dive regularly. I'm an extremely cautious person, but for diving in a like that the max depth is 30 feet I don't see the problem in diving solo. I have yet to dive solo, but may go for my first this week.

Any suggestions for my first solo dive? My max depth will be about 20 feet

With less than 25 dives do you think you are suitably experienced to dive solo?

I frequently dive solo when either of my three regular buddies are not available, lots of redundant kit and plenty of experience and training using it.

I only dive with a buddy.

About 30% of my dives are solo. I don't consider depth a limiting factor. Even diving with a buddy I usually have a redunant air source and bouyance. When I 1st started to solo it was working dives like anchoring markers for a swimming area, short shallow dives. With those came familarity and confidence. There was a time I would only dive with people at or above my skill level or I'd dive alone. These days I'll dive with anybody once anyway if he/she proves to be a PITA then no reruns unless they are real likeable or show potentional......that is willing to listen. Maybe someday I'll try to figure out how many solo dives I've done, maybe.

Only infrequently do I dive truly 'solo' - i.e. I am the only one at the quarry, or in the water - not because of concerns about safety, but more as a matter of convenience. I often dive quarries in my drysuit, and I have a back-zip suit, which is hard to get into solo. If I am going wet, I am usually going for the social aspects of diving (especially the apres-dive snacks and beverages), or because we have a specific training mission, so having a buddy in the water makes functional sense. At times, though, I will dive the quarry wet, and solo, ahead of a weekend class for example, to either set up for the class (e.g. run a tape line for AOW kick cycle measurement) or check conditions (tempertaure and visibility) in advance.

I enjoy diving 'solo' on some ocean dives - I might take a group of divers on a new diver charter, and meander around on the wreck while the group of buddy pairs swim around and enjoy themselves, and then hang out on the wreck by myself for a few minutes after everyone else has ascended - it is amazing how much 'noise' there is in the water. Or, I might be the last one in the water and pull the anchor / tie in. But, for coastal charters I am usually in the water with a group of people, although the distance separating us is large enough that I would consider it functionally to be solo diving. I admit, though, that doing solo night dives in Bonaire is one of the most relaxing aspects of our group trips to the island.

There are some real advantages of having a buddy, as a second set of eyes. I was diving a wreck off the NC coast last week at 100', and my dive buddy spotted a huge sea turtle and signalled me to come take a look. My buddy was about 40 feet away from me when he spotted it, and I would have probably missed the turtle altogether had he not been in the water (and had I not happened to turn and look in his direction at the right moment). I then saw another diver who was probably 40 feet away from me, also by herself, and swam over and signalled her to come take a peek at the turtle.

But, my buddy and I also dove a wreck during the same 3 day trip, at 170', and he went down alone ahead of me (I had an issue with the reg on a deco bottle when I pressurized it, and had to quickly swap out the reg, but after he was geared up and ready to splash). He went down solo, I then went down solo, and we both swam around for ~15 minutes on a large (470') wreck before we hooked up near the tie in point, for the last 10 muinutes of bottom time. We then ascended, and did our deco stops, together.

The other advantage of diving with a group, even if there are no 'buddy' teams, is comparing notes on the dive afterward and, of course, telling stories on one another afterward.

I'm still new to diving, but my two dive buddies live about 30 minutes away, all scheduled dive clubs are intermittent and i live on a lake that I'd like to dive regularly. I'm an extremely cautious person, but for diving in a like that the max depth is 30 feet I don't see the problem in diving solo. I have yet to dive solo, but may go for my first this week.

Any suggestions for my first solo dive? My max depth will be about 20 feet

Why do you have to dive with a club? Become friends with some of the members or other divers that might be able to come out and dive with you on short notice.

It is all in how you plan to do a solo dive that makes it safe. I know lots of people that solo in caves because it is hard to find a buddy to go diving at 3:30 in the mourning when you just can't sleep. Take proper steps to be safe and you should have no problems, jump in unprepared and that is another story.

Also let's face it every instructor and DM that dives with new divers is essentially solo diving.

I can't speak on how you were trained Paulmal but I know a HUGE number of instructors and dm's that will disagree with your statement. If my students aren't ready to assist me by the time they do their certs, then they aren't ready to do their certs. Do I expect them to react with the same skill and composure as an experienced diver, no, but I do expect them to react.

I paid $350 to fly to Florida for a few days of diving, spent another $400 on hotels and food, and another $400 on diving fees. I got paired up with another diver on the boat who said he was an advanced diver. We went out to a 70-foot wreck and in less than 15 minutes he was down to 700 psi and we had to surface.

Does this answer your question?

I would take them back to the anchor line and say goodbye. I discuss this with insta-buddies ahead of time

My solo dives are among my most relaxing but my buddy dives are by far the most fun. They really hit on 2 levels for me.

I enjoy diving with my family, otherwise, I'd generally like to be by myself

I've noticed several instructors and DMs saying they at times dive solo. Just out of curiosity, could they be sued by someone reading their posts and having an incident while diving solo? Legally, how responsible are dive pros posting on an open forum that they themselves dive solo when their agency may "forbid" it without a solo cert.?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom