Diving with unfamiliar local strangers?

I'd impromptu dive with a similar stranger?

• Without hesitation if we hit it off

Votes: 61 64.9%
  • Perhaps but would feel inconvenienced

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Would if they are desperate but it would spoil my dive

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Won't dive willingly with unfamiliar divers

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Other, described below.

Votes: 13 13.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it is the local quarry, all the time, no problem. If it is one of my usual NC boat dives, then usually not a problem. Done many times. If it is one of our ledges and I have not been able to get out there for a while and the depth is 100 ft and it is a rank newbie diving an AL80 with air and they tell me they suck air and I have my usual HP100 and 32% nitrox, then I prefer not and would be very inconvenienced. The ops do allow solo. Probably would take him/her down and let them go up with somebody else prearranged depends on how comfortable they were and how nice the surface conditions are. When traveling and it is a special dive to me I just avoid the issue and hire a private DM. If it is just a keys reef dive we are back to the quarry attitude. By the way in a Keys reef dive that is a nice thing about a threesome on a boat that but does not allow solo. If you have an air hog you just figure eight back to the boat, see them up and then continue your dive.

Have buddied with females many times. Only time that one politely refused was a very experienced local diver that always dove solo and was a serious photographer. On the other hand she waved me over when we crossed paths on the dive and showed me an octopus she had enticed out for photos.

If it isn’t a shore dive at home, I’ll be with my camera, diving sidemount, and my buddy is the cylinder from which I’m not breathing.

In my local area, I’m happy to do a shore dive with anyone, no matter the skill level.

But vacation time, then I’m selfish.

Happened recently, instructor candidate waiting on their IE the next day was hanging out as I geared up for a hover and work on some skills dive. Sounded squared away. Asked what he was doing, if he wanted to join me for my second drive. He wound up gearing up with a different single diver while I was down. Not exactly your typical random diver, though I'm rigged to be solo and rather self reliant.

Most of the time I just like to go down and look at the fish, blow a few bubbles, and surface after an hour or so of relaxation. It's sort of the same thing as an insta-buddy. The DM in me will kick in. It's pretty hard to inconvenience me under water as long as I get to look at the fish and blow some bubbles and relax a little. If I have a buddy that I have to look after, then so be it. I don't really expect anything from them as an insta-buddy, as I was probably planning on being solo anyway. So sure, if someone needs a buddy and wants me to be it, I'm game. The only exception is if they are planning to do a dive that I am not geared for or capable of doing. Know your limits.

Cheers -

Recreational dive? Sure.

Technical dive? I have to know you, or know you by reputation. If your name is "Jill" or "Becky" or "Steve" or "Richie" with the right last name, no sweat. If six technical divers I know well tell me you're OK, no problem. If you crew every weekend on a technical boat with a good reputation and you set and pull the hook, sure. Otherwise I'd rather go solo.

Perhaps interestingly, the most intense grilling I've ever gotten was from a hesitant recreational diver. How long have you been certified, what is your highest level of certification (at the time, perhaps normoxic trimix, perhaps advanced trimix), how many dives, have you dived here before (a quarry!), are you prepared to dive in cold water (with my dry suit and underwear in sight), etc., etc. It was very hard not to laugh but he was absolutely serious.

In retrospect, though, as amusing as I found it at the time, a lot of people could learn what to ask a prospective buddy from this guy.

Shore dive yes. If I go on a deep wreck drift dive without a friend I dive with one of the divemasters, not a stranger.

I routinely dive with strangers. We have a Facebook group for finding a dive buddy (Georgia Dive Buddies... aptly named imo). Both of my liveaboards so far have been just me, being a diver showing up and needing a buddy. I've had some great buddies, and some absolutely terrible buddies. My rules for insta-buddy dives at this point are:

1. No deep/complex dives until we've done a dive to check each other out or at least discussed level of certification and experience in similar dives.
2. Assume I'm diving solo with any new buddy until they prove themselves competent as a buddy (I did two dives with an insta-buddy out of Pensacola where I think he looked at me twice... total).
3. Relax and enjoy being in the water diving.

One time a guy I met at a dive site turned out to be X-Navy Seal. We ended up being regular dive buddies. However, most of the people I barely knew and decided to go diving with I ended up having to rescue. For some reason I thought that if they had a C-card they had the same training I did. That turned out to not be the case most of the time. Eventually I ended up diving alone while diving locally.

Back
Top Bottom