Diving with unfamiliar local strangers?

I'd impromptu dive with a similar stranger?

• Without hesitation if we hit it off

Votes: 61 64.9%
  • Perhaps but would feel inconvenienced

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Would if they are desperate but it would spoil my dive

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Won't dive willingly with unfamiliar divers

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Other, described below.

Votes: 13 13.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Was thinking about our attitudes and preferences to the social aspect of diving. Here's a scenario occasionally I meet with.

If you turn up to your favorite dive site and find a solo diver there gearing up and hoping to have someone in the water with them as a buddy how likely would you be to offer to join them?

(If they have a similar dive plan and dive style and you like them.)

I will gladly make somebodies day if they need a dive buddy. BUT i know and trust my buddy and can relax during the dive, whereas a last minute unknown add on always makes it harder to relax and enjoy the dive. When i dont know somebodies skill level i always revert to a divemaster mentality. That is why i chose "perhaps but would feel inconvenienced".

As I’m new and would be happy to have someone to dive with...I selected “Without hesitation if we hit it off.”

I'll dive with most anyone if we hit it off, unless I had a particular objective planned for the dive. Even then it would depend on my evaluation of the diver whether I would invite them along for my dive.

Back in the day I was grateful to be invited along and mentored by more experienced divers which was how I got my early dive training. I feel an obligation to pass on the help, I'm sure those old guys had reservations about diving with me but they did it anyway.

Bob

I've taken a lot of people with me, but I usually tell them I will be photographing and will not be keeping an eye on them. They've been fine with that. If they run low on air first I will make sure they see the way to exit and I will then continue my dive.

I wouldn't hesitate, though it's never happened to me. I would talk to him/her to find out some backround on ability/experience, etc. and make sure we agreed on plan, procedures. I would also mention my objective of shell collecting. Many times here in NS I am the only one there. If it's a weekend there may be a couple of others, but buddied up.
I can't recall running into a solo diver asking to buddy up in the NY area or FL panhandle either.

It is all new enough to me that I'm just happy being wet, so I chose "without hesitation" - always an opportunity to work on honing some rough edge.

I also chose "other" as I found out that pickup diving, means that you are really diving solo. Until proven otherwise, assume that your 'buddy' will blissfully swim on as if you never existed.

Until proven otherwise, assume that your 'buddy' will blissfully swim on as if you never existed.

New, yet wise beyond your dive count. : D

I would go with them after checking them out. But I do not depend on them.

Brings back funny memories from 2 years ago. Was at Sunset House in Caymans and buddies went to town for shopping. I went to the dock looking for divers. I would politely ask if folks would allow me to "tag" along. No, no and more no's. Finally these 2 elderly females came by and I said to myself I can go with them. Boy was I wrong as they told me they were more experienced than me.

After an hour I walked over to Blue Grotto; same thing there for about an hour.

Back to Sunset house and I went snorkeling.

I sure felt like a loser and a dork. :dork2: So pathetic.
P.S. Both places claim not to allow solo diving.
But I laugh now when I think about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom