Diving with Truk Odyssey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kroorda

Contributor
Reaction score
I was recently diving on the Truk Odyssey. At the end of a great week, everyone on the boat was encouraged to make a dive on a wreck that started at -165 feet, and went down from there. A few of us thought that taking recreational divers to that depth without any qualifications, special considerations (such as prescription drug use, physical condition, etc.) was inappropriate, and even dangerous. Do you agree, or did we overreact?
Thanks.

Every diver should critically examine any dive opportunity to see if it is a good fit for him or her. If it isn't, then you should always either pass on the dive or rework the dive plan to be a good fit.

Any dive has risks and every dive plan should recognize and mitigate those risks. One to 165fsw has many more risks than one to 60 FSW...

Would I personally pass on the dive? It would depend on dive conditions, how I felt and available equipment (If not doubles, I would want at least a staged 40; and ideally some deco gas hanging on the bar). I wouldn't think of me being offered the dive "inappropriate" although I might think being encouraged to make the dive a bit inappropriate.

Others will correct me if I am wrong, but I am not aware of any prescription drugs that would be a total non-issue at around 130fsw (I am guessing there were some dives to around that point) but would be a huge issue at 165fsw. My point is that if the med is likely to be an issue, it is likely to be an issue long before 165ish.

So, what would I worry about (besides the normal things like navigation, current, viz, etc.) and mitigate? Well, just for starters:
a) A potential O2 hit;
b) Gas planning (including mix, quantity, redundancy);
c) Deco planning (including procedures if you miss the ascent line);
d) Narcosis & decision making

I was recently diving on the Truk Odyssey. At the end of a great week, everyone on the boat was encouraged to make a dive on a wreck that started at -165 feet, and went down from there. A few of us thought that taking recreational divers to that depth without any qualifications, special considerations (such as prescription drug use, physical condition, etc.) was inappropriate, and even dangerous. Do you agree, or did we overreact?
Thanks.

Its been many years since I was on the Odyssey, but we were not "encouraged" to dive the San Francisco. But "offered", those that did not want to did a different dive.
Had divemaster along and was conducted as safely as could be. Very worthwhile dive.
A few years before my Odyssey trip we did land base and also did the San Francisco Maru the last day. Same considerations, I don't see a problem.

Al

Thanks.

some places will take you on a dive regardless of your skill level. This is especially the case where the

Regardless of any technical reason, if you feel uncomfortable you are well within your right to decide not to dive (or abandon the dive) at any time. This includes (but is not limited to)
  • Hearing about the dive
  • On the boat on the way out
  • Once you are in the water
  • On the Decent
  • At any time on the bottom (within your planned bottom time)

there will be additional considerations going to 165 ft (esp. on deco and gas usage), but that is only part of the concern.

You have to be comfortable on what you are doing. If you aren't then you have to ask why.

If you don't do the dive, the worst thing that happens is you miss out on an experience,
If you do the dive, and something goes seriously wrong - well the results can be disastrous.

Never be afraid to say no.

"was inappropriate, and even dangerous. Do you agree, or did we overreact?"

I am a little uncomfortable with the tone of the above. Chuuk is known to be a destination with many deep dives. If you are uncomfortable with that you should pick another spot. Like most things in life "risk" is relative. As adults and when diving if something makes you uncomfortable don't do it. I loved the dive to the San Francisco and IMHO the crew did an excellent job of laying out the profile. So yes IMHO "inappropriate" "even dangerous" is overreacting.

Back
Top Bottom