Diving With Sutures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scmedic

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was involved in a motorcycle accident the other day and only sustained a laceration from my top lip to my nose. I recieved several sutures both internal and external? I questioned the ED physician about my plans to go diving on 11-13 (injury/sutures occured 11-09) He stated it shouldn't be a problem. Though I will still have the sutures he just advised me to be careful with mask placement. Anyone agree or disagree? They aren't due to be removed untill 7 days (which is after i return from my trip) I was also thinkin I could place a piece of vasoline gause over the sutures, which would prevent rubbing but maintain the mask seal. Any suggestions?

P.S. Drivers pay attn to the roads, many times you are the cause of the accident not the motorcyclist!

Also I am on antibiotic theropy as well and am following wound care cleaning and prevention procedures (bactrum and cephlexan)

Speaking as a former surgeon, I would not let someone with a recent wound deep enough to require sutures immerse themselves in a contaminated environment so soon. A facial infection can be nasty. The worst infections I ever saw in my life were post-op patients who had an urge to go swimming with their stitches in (but doc, I kept it covered!). And if you think a chlorinated pool is filthy, try a lake or an ocean.

It's a risk/benefit sort of thing. If you have a couple of grand committed to a liveaboard cruise, that's one thing. But if you just really have a hankering to dive and no financial loss if you don't. I would not advise it.

The ER doc is not the one who will have to deal with the infection. It will be you and a plastic surgeon.

I agree, it is more the open wound with pressure applied as you go deeper, nasty infections are no fun, just talk with anyone that has gotten an outer ear infection from diving. And then when you go to the hospital for the repair or treatment, good chance you will pick up a nast staff infection while you are there.

And in addition, I wouldn't do any messing around with the healing/line up of such a prominent location and I'm pretty gung ho and do what you (I) feel up to. Weigh it out:
  • miss one dive
  • the scar is 24/7 there for the rest of your life.
BTW I tried to go diving after sutures removed and Doc (a diver) would let me in a clean pool. No way Jose in our lovely clean Big Island ocean.
The long term consequences if, was just too much to ignore, I obeyed, very, very hard to.

Back
Top Bottom