Diving with Scleral Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bratface: did you just get dimestore readers? That is what she told me to go get. I guess I will wait until I get the lenses. Walmart readers are readily available & pretty cheap. I have been in progressive glasses so long that I didn't realize this would be different.

divesergent: I am very right eye dominant so I don't know how I would like the monovision thing. Not being discussed at the moment.

And yes, I found the Facebook group. And no I don't think I will be a long term member. I have learned a bit about the post refractive "disease" process tho. But they are VERY negative. I don't need that in my life. There is a doctor on the one site (the only one I have found) that mentions multi-focal sclerals. Now THAT would make it worth it. But my doc says they don't exist.

I will let you know how it goes. I guess I should be happy that it looks like I will only need two fittings (or so I hope). It is an all day affair since the U of M is almost 3 hours from home. So very not convenient. Hopefully tho it is all worth it in the end.

Just picked up my lenses on Friday, Feb 2. It is an amazing experience! I have NEVER seen this well. I have 20/20 vision in both eyes--my left eye for the first time in my life (i'm 60 so that is a very long time). It is also going to take some adjustment. I did not realize they were pretty much for distance. I have had progressive glasses so long that not having near vision is a bit of an issue. I'm sure it will be resolved somehow--either with progressives over lenses or something. I will just have to be patient.

BUT can I please ask for some assistance? I now need to know where is the best/cheapest place for supplies? And which brands, esp store brands, are OK? Any and all tips will be helpful.

Thanks!!!

Congrats vacagirl! It is a great feeling to walk out of the doctor's office and see so well.

Follow the given directions about lens care from your manufacturer and doctor. I started with the cleaner that you rub the lenses in but then switched to a peroxide system after the manufacturer decided that was easier on the lenses.

I clean with Clear Care "Plus" and occasionally with Bausch and Lomb Boston Simplus solution. Clear Care wants six hours so you are without the lenses for a while if you have only one pair. The Clear Care "Plus" has added wetting agents to keep the lens comfy during the day.

I fill the lenses with Purilens solution or with Lacripure solution before insertion. The latter comes in single use vials that make for a great travel kit. Don' use regular saline, it has preservatives in it that will irritate your eye and make life miserable.

I keep a kit with me that has in it; a contact lens case, an insert/removal plunger tool, some Simplus fluid, and some Lacripure. It comes in handy if I need to freshen the fluid in the lens or to take them out and give my eyes a break.

What you can't find at a local shop can be found on the internet. We get mine from Amazon.

For near vision, grab some cheaters at the local pharmacy or department store. You can work on a more universal lens as time goes on.

And, you'll get the hang of insertion. It just takes a while and is frustrating as all heck.

Cheers,
DS

I am getting the hang of insertion. But I think I still may need another tweaking. My left eye is not as comfortable. And it either turns (they are both torics) or fogs or something. It gets blurry. Today it was within an hour of insertion. So I don't think it is a bubble but I'm not sure what that looks like either.

I am using the Clear Care. By the case! It seems I can only get about 31/2 fills since I am using the larger scleral lens cleaning case. Is there a medium size case somewhere?

Thanks for the help. Still frustrated but time will tell, I think I found vision insurance today that may pay for them in full!

I have the torics, I use Clear Care every week or so and Revitalens as my multipurpose. I still have trouble inserting without getting the bubble years later - maybe I need to vary my approach?

They're definitely frustrating but I've gotten used to them for the most part. Being able to achieve 20/20 with keratoconus is something to be thankful for in itself :) and comparing them to the vision I get with my glasses is night and day.

Keep fighting the good fight!
Alex

I buy two-packs of the large bottles of CC+ shown here... CLEAR CARE® PLUS Solution | ClearCareSolution.com

The cleaning case that is shown is what I use and the bottle lasts a week or two for me.

A fogging lens in my experience can be caused by a film on the lens allowing fogging or maybe an irritated cornea (as happens while learning to insert and remove a lens!). On two of my lenses (I have two pairs) I had some filminess when new from the factory. I don't know what it was but after a few cleanings it went away.

As for bubbles, I found that if I use one of the plunger-type tools, fill the lens over full, and then insert it by looking straight down and watching the black hole of the plunger's center all the way onto my eye. I gave up on using a mirror as it just made it worse for me.

To see if you have a bubble, use a very low power flashlight and shine it from the bottom or side across the lens and you should be able to see if there is a bubble. Visually, a bubble will float across your vision making intermittent blurriness.

Caffeaindreams is right. They will most likely always be a pain. But getting good vision with either keratoconus or, like me, from a case of post-refractive surgery messed up corneas' is a blessing.

Hang in there, you'll get it worked out yet!

Since you guys have been so helpful and I have seen this discussed on here I thought I would pass on a cheap place to buy LacriPure. This came in the kit my OD gave me. www.store.meniconamerica.com Looks like the manufacturer. $22 for the box of 98. Cheaper than I could find online anywhere. You have to register & it asks for a starter code but you don't need one for the LacriPure. If you try to order Progent, it does require one. I will work on that but she hasn't talked to me about Progent yet.

Thanks vacagirl. I’ve not used the Progent but I keep a supply of the Lacripure in my travel case and that is a good price.

I hope you’re getting used to the scleral lenses, and their care and feeding!

Lacripure is also available at the www.dryeyeshop.com. I have ordered from them and they are good to deal with. I don't need buffered solution so I carry addipak vials with me. I've found them available on e-bay and amazon, $17-$20 dollars for 100.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom