Diving with Scleral Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. My eyes are real screwy, and I will still have glasses, also. I have multiple aberrations in each eye, as well as double vision due to thyroid eye disease which causes eye muscle coordination issues and double vision. The contacts will deal with multiple aberrations, fogginess, and Star bursting while glasses will help solve double vision and astigmatism. My mask will need lenses, too, but I’m used to that. My vision now is 20-125 and 20-150 with glasses. Really steep kerataconus in right eye and a medium amount of steepness in left.

Yes. My eyes are real screwy, and I will still have glasses, also. I have multiple aberrations in each eye, as well as double vision due to thyroid eye disease which causes eye muscle coordination issues and double vision. The contacts will deal with multiple aberrations, fogginess, and Star bursting while glasses will help solve double vision and astigmatism. My mask will need lenses, too, but I’m used to that. My vision now is 20-125 and 20-150 with glasses. Really steep kerataconus in right eye and a medium amount of steepness in left.
I should add that I have past lasik issues in both eyes and scarring over the center of my left cornea from recent injuries. I’ve had two cornea transplants in my right eye. Cataracts removed both eyes with interocular lense in both eyes. I’ve had detached retina in right eye.

Texas Joe,

I am glad you found this thread and that it is helpful and encouraging to you. That was one of my main reasons I started it. There was so little information when I started to look into diving with sclerals and I hoped this thread would serve as a platform for others to hear experiences from not just me, but from others in the same boat.

You have way more vision issues than I do and I admire your spirit in pushing ahead to find solutions.

The scleral lenses have been a true blessing to me and have made it so I can still do many of the things I love, including continue my career. I pray that you also find them helpful.

Please post follow up reports on your progress.

Cheers,
DS

Glad to find this thread, I am another lasik gone bad! I have had Scleral lenses for a about 4 months now. I think they are still a bit tight as I get some blanching after wearing them all day but if I pull them out and put them back in after work, they have been pretty good. I have a dive coming up in June and was searching to see if it is ok to dive with them...glad to see it is not an issue. I have been trying every type of contact available as glasses do not work with me. These things are the most comfortable and provide the best vision that I have found. I am using monovision and have 20/20 near and far now, put them in as soon as I wake up and leave them in all day. I am using the purilens but looking for something smaller that I can keep in my pocket. Any single use vials or 1oz versions you guys recommend?

Glad to find this thread, I am another lasik gone bad! I have had Scleral lenses for a about 4 months now. I think they are still a bit tight as I get some blanching after wearing them all day but if I pull them out and put them back in after work, they have been pretty good. I have a dive coming up in June and was searching to see if it is ok to dive with them...glad to see it is not an issue. I have been trying every type of contact available as glasses do not work with me. These things are the most comfortable and provide the best vision that I have found. I am using monovision and have 20/20 near and far now, put them in as soon as I wake up and leave them in all day. I am using the purilens but looking for something smaller that I can keep in my pocket. Any single use vials or 1oz versions you guys recommend?

Hi khatley,

Welcome to the club! I’m glad the sclerals are doing well for you. They are a Godsend for me as they let me keep working!

You’ll likely find diving with sclerals to be worry free. The way they suck down onto your cornea there is pretty much no way they’re coming off under water!

For daily use, I find if I take them out, rinse them and flush my eyes with some saline, and then put them back in it gives me several more hours of comfort.

Purilens is my go-to for bottled fluid. For small vials I have had great success with Lacri Pure from Menicom. It comes in 5ml vials. Sometimes it is hard to find, but has been more readily available lately.

Dry Eye Shop can be your best friend… LacriPure, box of 98 5mL preservative-free vials

Feel free to post up any questions. I’m 6 years into sclerals and will be happy to share anything that will help.

DS

I don't post much here anymore but I was happy to find this thread and thought I'd bump it.

I've been a scleral contact lens wearer for several years. I'm in the keratoconus camp.

Normally I switch to soft contacts for diving, but they do a poor job of correcting my vision. My main issue with soft lenses is that they play havoc on my close up vision. Even with magnification inserts I now struggle to see my gauges, which is not fun. Yay for being over 50.

Sclerals don't have this problem (for reasons I think I can explain if anyone cares).

Until reading this thread I've been afraid to wear them diving. Now I'm considering it but still apprehensive, despite the nearly 100% positive comments here.

Anybody have any updates in the past year?

I don't post much here anymore but I was happy to find this thread and thought I'd bump it.

I've been a scleral contact lens wearer for several years. I'm in the keratoconus camp.

Normally I switch to soft contacts for diving, but they do a poor job of correcting my vision. My main issue with soft lenses is that they play havoc on my close up vision. Even with magnification inserts I now struggle to see my gauges, which is not fun. Yay for being over 50.

Sclerals don't have this problem (for reasons I think I can explain if anyone cares).

Until reading this thread I've been afraid to wear them diving. Now I'm considering it but still apprehensive, despite the nearly 100% positive comments here.

Anybody have any updates in the past year?
Hey! Thanks for posting. I am glad you find the threat helpful.

It sounds like keratoconos can really suck. And, unlike the post RK/LASIK issues that I have, you did nothing to bring it on.

have been diving since 2016 now with sclerals and have had absolutely no complications.

Like you, softs just did not get it done for me. My post-RK/LASIK astigmatism makes them ineffective. Sclerals, with their fluid-filled layer, even out the blurred, doubled vision as you have probably experienced.

If still apprehensive, try diving with an older pair of sclerals. If somehow you lose them, it is not a big deal. In my experience, the sclerals stay put better than softs and have been perfectly safe.

My optometrist has sent me to an ophthalmologist to look into collagen cross-linking. Do you have any insight into this? It sounds promising and frightening at the same time.

Cheers,
DS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom