Diving with Sandals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fouremco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've just completed my OW, and the first opportunity to dive will be during an upcoming trip to Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica. While I feel confident in my knowledge and skills, based on my very limited training to date, I realize that PADI OW provides little information on what to expect for organized dives of this nature. Will the DM provide provide general information (depth, etc.) with which my buddy and I plan our own dive, or can we expect it to be more structured, with the DM planning the dive and expecting us to dive his plan?

Has anyone gone diving with Sandals Whitehouse who can comment on the nature of the dives there?

If it is like Sandals Ocho Rios the dives are structured. You dive with a divemaster and come up when the first person hits 1000psi. WE got 2 dives per day and the equipment was in good shape. IMO it is a good place to gain experience as they are used to beginning divers(they do resort certifications).

I dove there in May. All dives are guided. You will not be allowed to dive without the group. The first time you dive they will make you go on the 30ft dive. Then you are allowed to go on the 60-65ft dive. It is much better and less crowded. All of the resort-course divers go on the 30 ft dive.

GO TO THE DIVE SHOP 1ST THING. I missed a day of diving becuse the first dive was booked already.

It really isn't much different diving at a resort than your last check dive. They should explain the conditions, the bottom depth, and the profile to follow. Be sure to verify the profile with the tables or plan it on your computer.

When my wife and I went to St. Lucia (not Sandals) not too long after our certification, the dive master told us that divers on tables had a max depth of 60'. Divers on computers only had to maintain visual contact with the DM. (We were on a 4000' wall, but going deeper meant less coral and faster air consumption so we never went below 70') We were also given a time to meet at the surface. Of course we were free to ascend early with our buddy if we hit air or nitrogen limits. Since there was a ripping current on a few of the drift dives, we were to ascend the DMs towed SMB line and watch for boat traffic.

These are the kind of instructions you should get. If you don't, BE SURE TO ASK! Remember that many of the people at resorts dive once a year and may be too shy/clueless to ask. If you ask, the whole group will be glad you did.

Also, remember that YOU are responsible for your safety. The DMs where we stayed were very good divers. Read the boards here and you'll see plenty that aren't. If your ears are hurting or you are low on air, you don't need the DM's permission to call the dive. Stay with your buddy and (if you can safely do so) let the DM know you BOTH are ascending. :thumbs_up

Relax, have fun, and enjoy the warm water. You'll have a blast.

Diving with Sandals
I prefer fins - some call them flippers. :lol2:

Make sure you take your log book. When we went to Sandals montego bay if you didn't have your log book showing that your last dive was less than 6 months ago they made you do a pool test.

I've been to Sandals several times on vacation in different places and have always dived as it was included. All of the dives are structured and no more than 70' usually. The dive staff are good but don't expect to get crazy on the diving.

When are you going? Im going to Sandal's Dunn's river (Ochos Rios, Jamaica) dec 26-jan 2. Never been, but did a bit of reading on it. Certified divers get 2 dives a day. Resort course people 1. Usually there are 3 trips a day. Morning is cert'd only. late morning and noon are for both IIRC. If you havent dived recently, you'll need to do a pool test. Going to talk to the watersports desk is the first thing you should do when you're there to set up your dives. (make the wife go make the reservations for the resturaunts that need them) If you plan on doing the lessons there, show up 15-20 minutes BEFORE the desk opens to make sure you get a spot. If you're interested they usually offer AOW, deep diver, etc as well as the resort course and BOW. Usually they do a couple night dives a week too.
All second hand info of course.

DandyDon:
I prefer fins - some call them flippers. :lol2:
Don,
When I saw the title, I was thinking the same thing. Why would you dive with sandals instead of fins. You beat me to the punch but I like the way you think. You can never have too much humor?

Back
Top Bottom