Diving with Ostomy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@undrwater, @500 PSI, so sorry i just saw your posts. Glad to hear you are ok and looking at diving again.

To be clear, I don't have a Urostomy but my wife does. She got it in 2020 and made many dives with it since she got it.

Main inconvenience is that she's afraid to lift heavy (we dive cold water) because she fears an abdominal hernia even though the doctor says she will be fine. So we pick dive spots where I can carry her equipment and she does not have to make a long walk with her gear on her back.

The diving itself is no problem but this is wat changed.
- She bought a hard plastic cap (Stoma Bescherm Cap SET (Cap + Achterpad) CE) that can be placed over the Urostomy to prevent her suit putting too much pressure on it. Your suit might have to be adjusted if you go that way. For her suit it was no problem and later we bought a Dryskin drysuit with some extra room around the waist (but she still prefers diving her wetsuit).
- She no longer uses lead on a belt around the waist but all lead is in her jacket.
- We watch the duration of the dive because the bag can fill up quick (its unpredictable when this happens). So most dives end at 40 minutes, but we're fine what that.

Most limitations are with herself since she prefers to dive only with me. She does not want to bother others with her restrictions. So while we dive in a club and buddies are always around, it means often she decides not to dive since I'm often busy with students.

We hope to go on a Liveaboard someday as that would be perfect for her.

Please post any questions you have, I know how insecure we felt when she started again.

@undrwater, @500 PSI, so sorry i just saw your posts. Glad to hear you are ok and looking at diving again.

To be clear, I don't have a Urostomy but my wife does. She got it in 2020 and made many dives with it since she got it.

Main inconvenience is that she's afraid to lift heavy (we dive cold water) because she fears an abdominal hernia even though the doctor says she will be fine. So we pick dive spots where I can carry her equipment and she does not have to make a long walk with her gear on her back.

The diving itself is no problem but this is wat changed.
- She bought a hard plastic cap (Stoma Bescherm Cap SET (Cap + Achterpad) CE) that can be placed over the Urostomy to prevent her suit putting too much pressure on it. Your suit might have to be adjusted if you go that way. For her suit it was no problem and later we bought a Dryskin drysuit with some extra room around the waist (but she still prefers diving her wetsuit).
- She no longer uses lead on a belt around the waist but all lead is in her jacket.
- We watch the duration of the dive because the bag can fill up quick (its unpredictable when this happens). So most dives end at 40 minutes, but we're fine what that.

Most limitations are with herself since she prefers to dive only with me. She does not want to bother others with her restrictions. So while we dive in a club and buddies are always around, it means often she decides not to dive since I'm often busy with students.

We hope to go on a Liveaboard someday as that would be perfect for her.

Please post any questions you have, I know how insecure we felt when she started again.
Wow, thanks for the reply! Tell your wife she's my hero right now. I'm inspired.

While I haven't dived, I've figured out how to connect the pouches valve to my dry suit p-valve. It's amazing how quickly this thing can fill up under certain circumstances.

I'll continue to post as I progress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom