Diving with orcas in Norway, video & pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like we could have the buildings of a SB trip here people! :D

What are the possibilities of orcas on the Narvik trip you propose Kompressor? I was offered a liveaboard for that price- can't remember how many days/dives but the plan was to visit various wrecks around Narvik and while underway follow the path of migrating orcas. Although they also to an orca photography trip on the liveaboard but that wasn't really up my street! :D

Diver0001:
Hmm...... Isn't it like -600C in Norway right now? :)

So what are the chances of seeing the whales if we come at the right time of the year? Are we talking guarantee, good or guess?

I certainly know a few divers who would make the trip if the chances are good.

R..

I think chances are very good to come close to the whales if you get with those who know that kind of stuff. I don't! A group of divers from a Norwegian divers forum (www.dykkesiden.com) got together for a long weekend up in Lofoten, and they're the ones who got the video and pictures I posted up here. It's not so far away from Narvik, so that would be an excellent combo for a dive trip for sure. I think October/November/December are the best months. If some of you want to go I can keep a lookout for more trips at the forum and let you know. These people have a marvellous way to get things on tracks for much less money than the pro's charge. Perhaps not always the 5 star hotel your wives would prefer, and certainly not the climate! But if you are familiar with dry suits I see no problems at all. After all, we're not tourists, are we?! :14:

I want to go myself. But I think the season is over now anyway, so perhaps at the end of this year will be the time to go.

subaquaman:
Looks like we could have the buildings of a SB trip here people! :D

What are the possibilities of orcas on the Narvik trip you propose Kompressor? I was offered a liveaboard for that price- can't remember how many days/dives but the plan was to visit various wrecks around Narvik and while underway follow the path of migrating orcas. Although they also to an orca photography trip on the liveaboard but that wasn't really up my street! :D

I'd say the orcas are most likely found in the Lofoten area. -Which is not too far from Narvik, so at the right time it's a great combo. I'll check what's the best orcas season, ok?

Narvik is probably the best WW2 wrecks dive site in the world. Nothing less. Viz is crappy in the spring due to algea blooming, but during late fall or winter it can be awsome. I think guided dives are preferred here. Some wrecks are not allowed for diving since they are declared as graves. Remember, there are still a lot of human remains in these wrecks.

That sounds great kompressor. I was told November is the best time both for the wrecks and orcas as well.

Unfortunately I'm already forking out nearly €5000 on diving this year which €4999 so I might have to defer for a year but you never know... I could win the lotto! So let me know if anything comes up! :D

subaquaman:
That sounds great kompressor. I was told November is the best time both for the wrecks and orcas as well.

Unfortunately I'm already forking out nearly €5000 on diving this year which €4999 so I might have to defer for a year but you never know... I could win the lotto! So let me know if anything comes up! :D

It could be a plan for November 2006, and I don't think you'd have to "buy" the whole package to dive wrecks in Narvik. I'm sure we could get together with some locals or someone who's been there before.

subaquaman:
Just got an email from the operator about new trips in 2006. Again, nice if you can afford it!

http://www.xoholidays.com/news/2006/issue07/issue07_en.htm

Those trips are for "rich foreigners" :D
-Never met a Norwegian willing to pay those prices, but I'm sure the trips are great and I wouldn't mind being on one! -Though that might only happen if I got a job doing the dishes and filling the tanks onboard the ship...

But it's perfectly possible to make a trip of our own at a totally different price level. Perhaps with a little less luxury, but with no lack of the modern comforts you "need" to survive... :14:

It sounds like something really worth doing.... If I had the money im sure my partner and i would do it... Along with many other people

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom