New to photo, here are the first pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KOMPRESSOR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We got a Canon A70 with a UW-housing for really cheap, but then this invited to getting a new dive light, which wasn't cheap... Anyway, here are the results of the first half season WITH a UW-camera:

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

anemoneny.jpg

seastar_01_web.jpg

torsk_sovende_web.jpg

Freshwater UW-pics:

abbor01.jpg

bergvika01.jpg

I've also put together a display/video from this wreck. It's about 11 MB and can be seen here:

Freshwater wreck, Norway

Any comments and advice WANTED!!!

The red anenome and the shot of the freshwater wrecks are my favorites of the bunch. Some of the others seem a bit out of focus, but they are great shots for your first attempts!

Thanks!
Many pics end up out of focus simply because the knob on the housing is so hard to push. I end up drifting to close to the object sometimes, and then stir up mud, and loose the chance... I hold the light in my left hand, just supporting the camera with my knuckles. Should perhaps make an arm for the light to fix it to the camera, so I can operate it with both hands? More expensive and fancy equipement have much better knobs though.

What kind of shutterspeed were you using? Some of them look very sharp while some have what seems to be a little motion artifact and occasional focus at a wrong place. Generally I would try to shoot at 1/100s or faster. Also you seem to shoot mostly from above. I would try to cahnge the angle a bit to a more level or even looking up slightly if possible for some variety. Nice first attempt though.

ssra30:
What kind of shutterspeed were you using? Some of them look very sharp while some have what seems to be a little motion artifact and occasional focus at a wrong place. Generally I would try to shoot at 1/100s or faster. Also you seem to shoot mostly from above. I would try to cahnge the angle a bit to a more level or even looking up slightly if possible for some variety. Nice first attempt though.

Thank you! Constructive advice from you here. I have been setting it in auto-mode. Maybe I should lock the shutterspeed? Ususally auto is fine, because of the strong light (100W xenophoto with video reflector), but I will try your advice!

Also getting further down. Some of the objects are on a cliff though, so it looks like it's underneath be but it's not. -Like the seastars and the anemones.

Very nice. I really like the last one.

Yes, set the shutter speed to no less than 1/60 second. In auto mode under low light conditions, the camera will often select shutter speeds that are too long.

I have the A75 and was considering getting a housing for it. Please keep them coming as you adjust things. Did you use an underwater setting or just autofocus. I am just as new to this as you are, but there are many things you can adjust such as white balance, shutter speed, etc... Someone else here might be able to help.

cdiver2:
Ditto SSra30 but great shots for the first time. Having a arm for the light will help a lot.
Nice shot of the ling I could never get that close to one.

torsk_sovende_web.jpg

This one? It's an Atlantic Cod. they get pretty big, up to 50 kilos (110 Ibs), but are rarely caught over 25 kilos (60 Ibs). This one was asleep, and didn't move at all. -And they are very good food as well!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom