Diving with hyperinflation of lungs??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chest x-rays, in general, are not very good at making the diagnosis of increased lung volumes. However, as was mentioned above, this "could" be a finding of obstructive lung disease. I would recommend getting an evaluation by a pulmonologist, preferably one with some diving knowledge. If your pulmonary function tests are normal and there are no blebs or other abnormalities on CT scan, you should be able to dive without restrictions. Just my 2 cents as a cardiologist (but not a pulmonologist) :)
Waiting for appointment with pulmonologist now Thank you for your advice!

UPDATE! Hello all. Hope everyone is staying healthy during these hard times. Just wanted to give a quick update on my first post. Saw the pulmonologist, was diagnosed with reactive airway disease, and can no longer dive. Very disappointing, to say the least.
I appreciate the help and advice I was given here. Thank you!!

diagnosed with reactive airway disease
I am curious why this lead to the conclusion/recommendation to no longer dive?

I am curious why this lead to the conclusion/recommendation to no longer dive?
I was told due to the "flattening of my diaphragms" seen on chest xray (hyperinflation), that the changes in pressure in diving could lead to air being trapped in my lungs and therefore could cause them to "explode"?! I was prescribed Breo and a rescue (albuterol) and have a followup in 6 wks w/a breathing test.

UPDATE! Hello all. Hope everyone is staying healthy during these hard times. Just wanted to give a quick update on my first post. Saw the pulmonologist, was diagnosed with reactive airway disease, and can no longer dive. Very disappointing, to say the least.
I appreciate the help and advice I was given here. Thank you!!

@Makai1972 sorry to hear that. Did your pulmonologist review the recommendations for diving with reactive airway disease and find that you were not suited, or were you just given a blanket "no"?

Best regards,
DDM

I agree with Duke Dive Medicine above. Did you just get a blanket "You have reactive airway disease. You can't dive." Or did your pulmonologist, with a knowledge of diving medicine, review the specifics of your situation and then, on a careful review of your individual risk vs. benefit, make a recommendation that should not dive?

If the former, here is some information for him or her:
Asthma & Diving — DAN | Divers Alert Network — Medical Dive Article
SCUBA Diving and Asthma: Clinical Recommendations and Safety. - PubMed - NCBI
DAN | Medical Frequently Asked Questions

@Makai1972 sorry to hear that. Did your pulmonologist review the recommendations for diving with reactive airway disease and find that you were not suited, or were you just given a blanket "no"?

Best regards,
DDM
@DDM Thank you. He stated that due to the fact that my lungs weren't releasing all air on expiration, that pressure changes in diving could cause air to become trapped in my lungs and therefore could cause them to explode. He said the risk of death was not worth the reward in my personal situation.

I agree with Duke Dive Medicine above. Did you just get a blanket "You have reactive airway disease. You can't dive." Or did your pulmonologist, with a knowledge of diving medicine, review the specifics of your situation and then, on a careful review of your individual risk vs. benefit, make a recommendation that should not dive?

If the former, here is some information for him or her:
Asthma & Diving — DAN | Divers Alert Network — Medical Dive Article
SCUBA Diving and Asthma: Clinical Recommendations and Safety. - PubMed - NCBI
DAN | Medical Frequently Asked Questions
Thank you for the info, I'll read it over. I'm getting a breathing test in a few weeks to further investigate the issue. The doc stated, in my personal situation, the risk of diving causing death (due to air being trapped in my lungs) wouldn't be worth the reward.

So you got diagnosed with an adult onset reactive airway disease without symptoms and pulmonary function testing? Do you have a history of asthma as a child or severe allergies? It sounds very atypical. May consider a second opinion.

@DDM Thank you. He stated that due to the fact that my lungs weren't releasing all air on expiration, that pressure changes in diving could cause air to become trapped in my lungs and therefore could cause them to explode. He said the risk of death was not worth the reward in my personal situation.
So you got diagnosed with an adult onset reactive airway disease without symptoms and pulmonary function testing? Do you have a history of asthma as a child or severe allergies? It sounds very atypical. May consider a second opinion.
@Ukmc I don't have a history of asthma or allergies as a child, but asthma is in the differential diagnosis at this point. I'm having PFTs in a couple weeks before my followup appointment and am on 2 inhalers (a daily and a rescue).

Back
Top Bottom