Diving with full facemask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We find that as we have gotten up in age the FFM makes the dive alot more enjoyable. If you think about it every element of stress you take out of the dive the better the dive can be. I know most people love traditional equipment so they stay with what they are good at, we have found something that everyone should at least try.

I purchased the Ocean Reef G Diver full face mask a few weeks ago and I love it. One of the major issues is training. I used the manufacturer's literature and on-line training video. I had one of the local instructors observe me at the local swimming pool as I went through the drills - I wanted feedback. Used it for dives in the Chanel Islands last week. Air consumption was up (~20%) but part of it may have been due to current. It was so nice to get on the boat with dry eyes and no water in my nose. Mask stayed clear all the time. It takes a lot of work to get water in the mask. I still keep a traditional face mask in my BC pocket just in case.

A few people that have tried on my mask did say that they were claustropobic with a full face (including wife).

If you get a full face, get the surface air valve - it should be standard issue.

We dove with ours for the first time a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it!!! No fogging, no dislodging! My husband did not have his adjusted properly (he pulled the top strap way too to tight) and got water in his and was losing air out the top of the mask. After getting re-adjusted, he was in heaven. The field of view was terrific. No jaw fatigue, regular breathing patterns. Wonderful!

We got the buddy phones. He could hear me, I could not hear him. I don't think I had mine in the appropriate spot. I was too busy with buoyancy, anyway. My non-verbal skills are great. He understood perfectly "Touch my BC inflator/deflator once more and you're dead" gestures perfectly. He was just trying to help, but it's my job to do and to learn!

Helped with the staying warm - the quarry is cooling just a bit. First time I've worn a hood. It bothered me more than adjusting to the FFM (Guardian).

We dove again yesterday (10/14) with our FFMs. I love that my face stays warm and dry, especially with the cooler weather. We are not so sure about the buddy phones. My husband can hear me, but I have trouble hearing him. He must slow down and talk a little louder. We both love them. Again, I hate diving with a hood, but it was invaluable in keeping warm.

Cindy, make sure the mic in his mask is right up next to his lips- like no more than a quarter inch away, have him try not to exhale too heavily as he speaks. If that doesn't do anything try a new battery.

We are going to try that out!

FFM's add a new dimension to rec diving. I'll admit that they are fun, I PSD certed in an AGA, but I strongly prefer a low volume mask for everyday diving. Manni-yunk offered a particularly good post on the pro-FFM side of the issue.

If you are trained (AND PRACTICED) in how to ditch and don a FFM, and donate air, I see it as your business as to what you enjoy...

Its amazing how many people are concerned about out of air emergencies. Man, if you run out of air, you've got a bigger problem then the FFM being on your face. It takes 1 second to pull it off, it takes longer to find a back-up source of air from a negligent buddy.

I've been using FFM's for years, taught my underwater photography classes with them and am a huge proponent of using them. I've done frigid New England diving with them and would much rather dive with an FFM then anything else. Your dry, you're much warmer and there is never any need for mask clearing. Plus, its a lot safer then biting down on a regulator, ya never get any water in your breathing path. Yes, the added volume can be an issue for some people, but it never bothered me.

I prefer the OTS and AGA masks to anything else. The silicone sealing system works great against rubber drysuit hoods, total full seal and with a breather valve on the top of the hood for bleeding, you also get some warmth from the air coming in from the FFM. In warm water's, the FFM's benefits can be a bit more touch and go, the benefits are less for sure when the water temps are around 70f.

Its amazing how many people are concerned about out of air emergencies. ...//...

I learned to remove the FFM in cold water while "entangled" and on my back. Try it.

---------- Post Merged at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:36 PM ----------

Before you pounce, read this:

http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/print/volume-165/issue-9/features/public-safety-diving-and-firefighting-the-parallels-of-self-rescue.html

I learned to remove the FFM in cold water while "entangled" and on my back. Try it.

---------- Post Merged at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:36 PM ----------

Before you pounce, read this:

Login - Fire Engineering

Blast, can't read the article without being a member... copy and paste if you can. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom