Diving with Dentures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By "bus to downtown" do you mean the ADO to the downtown terminal?
Yep, sorry I wasn't clear. My last time to visit their office, I was late arriving after weather delays in Texas, so I took a cab to the mall - paying too much but time was short. They worked me in quickly, then paid for my cab to the terminal for a bus to PDC, and the short lived third ferry company still had a boat going to Coz at that late hour, so I got to sleep in the room I had already paid for! There was one porter with a tricycle still on the Coz dock, I grabbed him to help with my multiple bags, he insisted that I ride too, and he took me all the way to my hotel on 5th Ave half a block from the plaza. I slept 'til noon the next day.

I've yet to fly directly into Cozumel and so far always land at CUN so it sounds fairly simple.
Oh, yeah, you're west coast so the connections to Coz don't work for you. If the Coz dentist can't match my suggested Cancun office, then ask the latter if you can get the first two visits of three done the first two days, and about a hotel walking distance from the mall. Leave your bags at the hotel while you go to the mall both days. After the second visit, check out with bags, cab to bus station, bus to PDC, and on to Coz as you've done before. Schedule your third visit early enough on the last day that you can make the plane home, or if you're having teeth pulled the last visit - stay the night again.

Their toll free number and prices lists can be found here: www.cancuncosmeticdentistry.com

Also, I sure would not have know about the surcharge for taxis parked off the street!
Well, the office was paying for the cab, but good to keep in mind. They do that at Mega and hotels in Coz, too. I flagged one down on the street in Coz last week, and we still argued over the rates. I ended up paying too much, but less than he asked.

Thanks for all the great info! I bookmarked the dental site under a new heading :)

With all the horror stories I've heard about Mexican taxis we never really had any issues. One time we took one all the way from PDC to Puerto Juarez and after we were done haggling it only came to a couple dollars more than if we'd taken the ADO to downtown and then a taxi to the ferry dock. I don't think I've ever taken a taxi from the Mega on Cozumel but we sure did in Puerto Vallarta and I was often surprised at how little they wanted. Maybe it's just the old blonde, blue-eyed gringa I have with me :wink: One time we got charged extra, rather late in the evening, when we kept driving around looking for our AirBnB which was not where Google Earth said it was. I thought that was fair. In general, we've had many very pleasant experiences with taxis and even stay in touch with a driver on Cozumel. A couple of times on Isla Mujeres we were only charged 10-15 pesos because we were sharing a cab with others.

I have worn full dentures for years, have yet, but want to, try diving with the dentures out to see if the reg is fine without them, I do not use and never have denture adhesive . anyone dive with there dentures out??

How many of you old geezers are diving while wearing dentures? If so, is it a problem? I'm 65 now and, even though I still have most of my teeth, it is something I think I need to plan for. Should I not worry about it or should I start saving up for implants?
I've dived with a 3 tooth front denture (thanks to 11 years of rugby) for the last 15 years and never thought of it as a problem. I had a bridge before but your gums shrink and in a couple of years, they look pretty basic. Dentures are the best option unless you go for full implants. I had great teeth but mine deteriorated rapidly once over 70.

The other good thing I have done is to wear one (in my case +2) contact lens whilst diving. I used to be short sighted but that improved as I got older at the cost of close focus, I do mostly macro shots and this solution solves all my close focus and far distance problems.

I have worn full dentures for years, have yet, but want to, try diving with the dentures out to see if the reg is fine without them, I do not use and never have denture adhesive . anyone dive with there dentures out??
I wouldn't. You have more gripping power with dentures & adhesive than with just gums. Besides, you would freak out your boatmates. I use a heavy layer of adhesive first thing every dive morning. Take separate tubes in each bag in case of a luggage delay.

I wouldn't. You have more gripping power with dentures & adhesive than with just gums. Besides, you would freak out your boatmates. I use a heavy layer of adhesive first thing every dive morning. Take separate tubes in each bag in case of a luggage delay.
Thanks, Not sure about the adhesive since I have used it , even when diving, only scare i have had was being sick, had to keep my hand in front of my month incase I spit them out in the water

Thanks, Not sure about the adhesive since I have used it.
I guess there is a typo there as you previously said "I do not use and never have denture adhesive." It won't cost much to try it. I get the Walmart brand.

sor
I guess there is a typo there as you previously said "I do not use and never have denture adhesive." It won't cost much to try it. I get the Walmart brand.
yes, yes typo , meant to say "have never"..

Well, it finally happened, Back roll off the boat, hand slipped, knocked my top dentures out.. wild panic trying to spot them, probably sinking fast. When low and behold, Dive buddy surfaces beside me, big smile on face....You looking for this>>>> :yeahbaby: Saved a 1000 bucks

hand slipped, knocked my top dentures out.
You hit yourself in the face with you hand? Wow. :eek:

Do you not use denture glue? I use a fresh addition an hour before boarding and use so much that I'd have difficulties removing if I wanted to.
Saved a 1000 bucks
Do you dive Cozumel? Dentures need to be replaced after a few years and I got my last two sets in Cancun for much less. But then I've never had to replace any in an emergency. I've been getting them cleaned every year in Cozumel and I'll use that dentist next time.
Dive buddy surfaces beside me
Did he descend below you? My home bud and I had a strict pact: Dive buds roll together, descend together, stop at 20 feet together (he always had challenges clearing), swim together, ascend together, safety-stop together, surface together, and exit together. We weren't so at first, leading me to frantic searches a few times.

Back
Top Bottom