Diving with clogged ear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew Kinder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, please move this thread if I posted in the wrong place. It seemed to go best here though.

So anyway, I'm getting over a cold, and during the cold my right ear filled with fluid, causing me to have that stuffy feeling and not able to hear as well as normal.

I know a guy that teaches scuba at his house with an indoor pool, and he said whenever he's struggling with sinus issues and sickness, he goes and lays on the bottom of the pool and it clears everything up. He told me to come try it out, so I'm going tomorrow, but I'm concerned about my ear, that I won't be able to equalize or something. Or that the pain might be really bad. I can see how the pressure could break up the fluid and help drain my ear, but I can also see it causing problems, even rupturing my eardrum. I started taking MucinexD yesterday to try to thin the fluid and help drain it, but I don't think it's been enough time to really help, cause I haven't had any changes yet.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or experience? I'd like some other opinions from fellow divers besides just my friend, even though he is very experienced and is a dive instructor.

EDIT: The reason I'm not just letting my ear drain over time is because I have a cruise to go on in 3 weeks and I'll be diving in the Caribbean, and I want to have clear sinuses.

don't do it......let you ear heal the right way...

I agree. Somewhat stuffy nose/sinuses may be something to fool with if it's not too bad, but I wouldn't mess with ears.

Not to put too strong a point on it but your friend is nuts. And you are smart enough to realize the idea is about half crazy. :)

My advice is to give the ear sometime to resolve itself but if doesn't improve or worsens you'll need some antibiotic. Mucinex is for cough. Why not try a Sudafed 12 hour, or something more along that line? Drink a lot of fluids.

I had the same problem 3 years ago and cancelled my dive. I was foolishly snorkeling and dove down to look at some sand dollars in about 12' and POP! My ear drum ruptured and it hurt like %$#^%!! So I would be careful.

True story...I have ear problems every year from sinuses infections. This year I was on amoxiclav and prednisone twice over 5 weeks. It did absolutely nothing. My Eustachian tubes were completely clogged and it was driving me crazy. As a last ditch effort and a recommendation from a friend I saw a chiropractor. Now I personally don't believe in them until now. I talked to him and he explained the basic anatomy of the tubes and how certain things can cause them not to drain. I felt stupid the entire time and knew that I was throwing my money away. After he worked on my neck I left and 24hrs later my left ear was open and 48 hrs later both ears were open. It had been 5 weeks and all the medicine was out of my system. So its worth a shot if you know a good one.

I echo the other comments. I have quite a lot of problems with my ears and I'm no stranger to ear infections - if it does turn out to be an ear infection then it only takes about 5 days for it to clear with antibiotics, so you have plenty of time before your cruise without resorting to measures like this!

Hi, please move this thread if I posted in the wrong place. It seemed to go best here though.

So anyway, I'm getting over a cold, and during the cold my right ear filled with fluid, causing me to have that stuffy feeling and not able to hear as well as normal.

I know a guy that teaches scuba at his house with an indoor pool, and he said whenever he's struggling with sinus issues and sickness, he goes and lays on the bottom of the pool and it clears everything up.

Your friend shouldn't be teaching.

The only way laying on the bottom of a pool will clear a clogged ear is by tearing a hole in your eardrum or driving a bunch of crap up your eustation tube. Neither one is good and either one will be enough to give you a "non-diving" vacation.

Three weeks should be enough time for your cold to clear up on it's own, but if you're concerned, you could see a doctor to see what you have.

flots.

Go see an ENT. At very least visit your local "doc in the box." Chilling at the bottom of a pool is just ducking fumb

If you are able to equalize your ears, there is a theoretical possibility that, as the air expanded on ascent, you might succeed in blowing some fluid out. You might also end up with a reverse block, and blow out the eardrum instead. In general, if your ear feels muffled and full, it's because your Eustachian tube isn't opening and isn't allow fluid to drain and air to enter. Being in that condition is a very bad state in which to dive.

Back
Top Bottom