Diving with BP at 140/102?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good job on seeing a Dr.

Also, the stress of worrying about this can create a feedback loop that raises your BP too. Believe me, I know.

Step away from the WebMd... It has good info but if you believe everything they say you have cancer and blocked arteries. The sites that have the patient "testimonials" are even worse. 🤣. Just relax and let your Doc check it out and go from there.

Good luck. Keep us updated. I've been through this so if you have questions feel free to ask.

Male, 53, 6"1, 210 lbs (15 lbs overweight) with blood pressure 140/102. How much risk am I diving? What can I do to mitigate my risk? TIA

That's not really too high. I have slight high BP at times and use meds for that. Never been an issue for diving.
Just back from doing 70 plus dives in the last 2 months. I'm now 62. A few months ago I also did a PFO Stress test on my heart.
Part of that test was running on a tread mill at different speeds. They normally do the highest test at 130 beats per minute. I asked the heart surgeon if I could test at 160bpm. He is like dang, what are you some super 6ft 1 inch 300 pound athlete. Me just a fat dude who can run for a bit. He cranked up the speed enough I did 15 mins of heart beat at 160. Blood Pressure sure spiked I forget what it was.

You may want to do a PFO test to test if you have a hole in your heart. 25% of people do.

That's not really too high. I have slight high BP at times and use meds for that. Never been an issue for diving.
Just back from doing 70 plus dives in the last 2 months. I'm now 62. A few months ago I also did a PFO Stress test on my heart.
Part of that test was running on a tread mill at different speeds. They normally do the highest test at 130 beats per minute. I asked the heart surgeon if I could test at 160bpm. He is like dang, what are you some super 6ft 1 inch 300 pound athlete. Me just a fat dude who can run for a bit. He cranked up the speed enough I did 15 mins of heart beat at 160. Blood Pressure sure spiked I forget what it was.

You may want to do a PFO test to test if you have a hole in your heart. 25% of people do.
Give yourself credit where credit is due! Sounds like you try to keep in good cardiovascular shape.

Interesting point about the PFO test. As you pointed out, anywhere from 25-30% of the population has a PFO, and divers being something of a cross-section of the population, it's reasonable to assume that 25-30% of divers have one. The question then becomes what to do about it, especially if it's discovered during routine testing like yours was. I'm curious about when they found your PFO during the test. Was it at the higher level of exercise? Also curious about the rationale for it - did you have a case of DCS that caused someone to suspect PFO?

In the OP's case, unless there's a compelling reason to test for PFO (e.g. a history of certain DCS symptoms that present a certain way), it's probably not indicated.

Best regards,
DDM

Give yourself credit where credit is due! Sounds like you try to keep in good cardiovascular shape.

Interesting point about the PFO test. As you pointed out, anywhere from 25-30% of the population has a PFO, and divers being something of a cross-section of the population, it's reasonable to assume that 25-30% of divers have one. The question then becomes what to do about it, especially if it's discovered during routine testing like yours was. I'm curious about when they found your PFO during the test. Was it at the higher level of exercise? Also curious about the rationale for it - did you have a case of DCS that caused someone to suspect PFO?

In the OP's case, unless there's a compelling reason to test for PFO (e.g. a history of certain DCS symptoms that present a certain way), it's probably not indicated.

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks. Hope to inspire others like me.

Nothing wrong with me. The surgeon was asking if I had migraines. I said I wanted to to the test as I intend doing the TDI ANDP. I explained to the surgeon that I wanted the PFO test as needed to sign a medical declaration for diving and that I was in good health. He understood about DCS hits and divers.

yeah I do regular morning walks with my dog. Sometimes I try to walk fast or even run lol Some walks are 30 mins some 90 mins.
I don't have any holes so not in that 25% group.

Also as the cost was so low why not. US$12. Hate to think what I would have paid for that in USA. Another doctor wrote that in NZ it would cost NZ$800.

My view on a walk today.

16067.jpg

Don’t look for medical advice on the internet. Most of the deaths that occur at the common shore diving sites in our area are cardiac events. A survivable heart attack may not survivable if it happens during a dive. See a doctor and ask to get medically cleared for diving.

Fully agree with @CT-Rich on this one. Hope all goes well on the Monday doctor visit.

Don’t look for medical advice on the internet. Most of the deaths that occur at the common shore diving sites in our area are cardiac events. A survivable heart attack may not survivable if it happens during a dive. See a doctor and ask to get medically cleared for diving.
I have a heart condition and can wholeheartedly concur. Every year I get my medical papers signed by the doctor. The other concern that may seem much less obvious to people is feeling symptoms. The water pressure on your body and the feel of exposure suits on your body may mask symptoms that one would normally feel in your chest during an event. People typically visualize of the hand gripping the chest in pain and being debilitated but this is a minority of cases of a catastrophic nature. The vast majority of cases manifest as a mild tightness or PRESSURE on the chest and progress from there until it becomes an emergency. The pressure under water and the exposure suit could easily mask those initial and critical signs of a problem. This is especially true for women who often don't feel those initial symptoms as pronounced.

Thanks. Hope to inspire others like me.

Nothing wrong with me. The surgeon was asking if I had migraines. I said I wanted to to the test as I intend doing the TDI ANDP. I explained to the surgeon that I wanted the PFO test as needed to sign a medical declaration for diving and that I was in good health. He understood about DCS hits and divers.

yeah I do regular morning walks with my dog. Sometimes I try to walk fast or even run lol Some walks are 30 mins some 90 mins.
I don't have any holes so not in that 25% group.

Also as the cost was so low why not. US$12. Hate to think what I would have paid for that in USA. Another doctor wrote that in NZ it would cost NZ$800.

My view on a walk today.

View attachment 757411
Thanks for the clarity, I think I read into your post. Spectacular photo!

Thanks for the clarity, I think I read into your post. Spectacular photo!

Thanks for your comments as well. As I am in my 60's and being overweight which I really need to go diving to help with weight loss.
Anyway no hardened arteries, no problem with blood sugar no signs of diabetes, no fatty liver, don't smoke so lungs ok but also live in the mountains away from pollution... It's a good idea even if you think you are healthy to get checked out at my age.

Sometimes I get lucky on late afternoon trips.

CLOUD VIEWS.jpg

Best regards,
DDM
I have been diving for 36 years. No history of DCS or anything else. While I understand the inherent dangers of seeking medical advice on the internet, I also don't think my MD has a whole lot of experience or knowledge regarding recent (or even not so recent) research or studies on scuba diving and medicine. I felt this was a reasonable forum to seek expertise in this area.

Back
Top Bottom