Diving with antibiotics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stephhhhh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello just got out of the 2 days in a hospital. The doc couldn't answer to that one... So I'm coming to you guys to see if maybe you know...
When you take antibiotics can you still dive?
I had an infection (cystitis+ kidney that doesn't work correctly...). Should I wait till the next exam in a week before diving again or it won't complicate at all if I dive now?

Thanks

If the infection was severe enough to be admitted to the hospital for iv antibiotic, I would feel safe to say that most doctor will not clear you for diving for at least 2 weeks.

Is there a scientific researched rationale for this? Likely not. No one wants to be responsible for recurrences, readmission, and lastly, frivelous lawsuits.

Bottom line is, you are not cleared to dive until your doctor clear you.

I’ve been dry for 6 weeks now because of a bout with pneumonia. I did two rounds of different antibiotics and a round of steroids. I was just too frickin sick to even bring up the question.

But several years ago I got bit by a rabid cat. I went through the rabies series and “IV” antibiotics treatment for several weeks. MY DOC, again, MY DOC cleared me to dive during the treatment which I did several times.

Call DAN or just wait.

Gary D.

stephhhhh:
Hello just got out of the 2 days in a hospital. The doc couldn't answer to that one... So I'm coming to you guys to see if maybe you know...
When you take antibiotics can you still dive?
I had an infection (cystitis+ kidney that doesn't work correctly...). Should I wait till the next exam in a week before diving again or it won't complicate at all if I dive now?

Thanks

agree, call DAN...most MD's don't know squat about diving & what correct info to give you......Most people think they are god's & they(MD's) feel the same, of course.....

Their philosophy is 'Who me, I can save the world'.....lol.....

I think your doctor is being honest. Just like other's said, most MDs/DOs don't know squat about diving medicing, including the ones who dive. Being honest means that it is up to you to find the answer yourself.

Likely, the answer DAN will give you is to consult with a doctor who does diving medicine, and most of them would not likely do so until they are sure your kidney infection is cleared after being off antibiotic for at least 2 weeks, and that your blood pressure is normal (abnormal kidney function can lead to hypertension).

Likely, the answer DAN will give you is to consult with a doctor who does diving medicine, and most of them would not likely do so until they are sure your kidney infection is cleared after being off antibiotic for at least 2 weeks, and that your blood pressure is normal (abnormal kidney function can lead to hypertension).

I was thinking the same thing. I was also wondering what you were meaning when you said
+ kidney that doesn't work correctly
I would be worried about diving until you have been cleared by a diving medicine doctor...or at least your kidney fucntion returns to normal.

I would wait until your off of the antibiotics...

Sometime, a severe case of kidney infection can cause scarring in the kidneys. This trigger the renin-aldosterone-angiotensin system (the kidney also play a role in controlling blood pressure). This is one of the hypothesized causes of hypertension - kidney infection in children leading to hypertension later.

I am not a kidney expert by any mean, just know a little to make me wonder about an "uncomplicated" case of kidney infection.

As far as I can tell, there aren't any known contraindications to diving while taking antibiotics. The contraindications are related to the condition necessitating the antibiotics. A pyelo sufficiently severe to require hospitalization was a serious infection, and I'd probably wait until the course of antibiotics is over and you remain afebrile and asymptomatic off antibiotics. You would not want to get septic underwater or on a dive boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom