Diving with Alligators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Took my family diving at Alexander Springs, and while we were heading toward the spring depression we scared a 4 to 6ft gator that swam into the reeds. It seemed more scared of us, but maybe because it wasn't very big. It didn't frighten us because the water was so clear. It would have been a different story in low viz water though....

I did a scooter dive in the canal behind our In Laws place in Englewood, Fl last Dec. The neighbors were all telling me how many gators were in the area.

I did not see any, but would have like to see some.

We are not part of the sharks food chain so it is, most likely, a case of mistaken identity.
Now with Crocs and Gators everything is part of their normal food chain. So if it's not hungry then all is Ok, if it is then it's your unlucky day.

A big croc is a fearsome predator in the water, silent and invisible, and amazingly fast on land over a short distance. Watching one take on a teenage cape buff and win an amazing sight.
Crocs have grows to over 20ft not sure about gators and the larger ones have become notorious man eaters. Gustave from Burundi was credited with eating over 300 people, and over 20 ft and over 100 years old. All of those figures I would take with a pinch of salt. However I am sure he activly hunted humans going to the river to collect water or fishing in the shallows.

Would I dive with sharks, yes, even if I did need to wash my wetsuit afterwards.
Would I dive with crocs, no ways.

American alligators are far different from Nile or Salt Water crocodiles. 10 Feet is quite large for an alligator these days; some get bigger.

If I got to dive around gators, my main concern would be intruding into ones space accidentally, rather than one seeing me from a distance and coming after me. Not saying it can't happen, but if gators were prone to attack humans any time they got hungry, considering all the exposure gators & humans get to each other in Florida, the news would be a week to week blood bath.

Richard.

It was a thought and I was wondering of any encounters and how people have dealt with them whenever or if ever have encountered them.

Def good advice for people who have experience from other people.

There is a bbc documentary about this called Diving with crocodiles. Search for it.
The strategy they used was to dive in 'relatively' good viz and get off the surface as soon as possible (immediately) after entry. When they found a croc they stay out the strike zone which is a radius around the. mouth

It's a cool video and they do very close to big crocs.

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

---------- Post added April 6th, 2014 at 06:43 PM ----------

Underwater Encounter with the Nile Crocodile - Sw…: http://youtu.be/8OFm58dUs4M

Nice video!

If I were informed that there were gators in the vicinity, I'd probably spend a good bit of time above the surface there to get a feel for the situation before taking a dive. Definitely wouldn't take a stranger's word for it being safe.

There is a bbc documentary about this called Diving with crocodiles. Search for it.
The strategy they used was to dive in 'relatively' good viz and get off the surface as soon as possible (immediately) after entry. When they found a croc they stay out the strike zone which is a radius around the. mouth

It's a cool video and they do very close to big crocs.

---------- Post added April 6th, 2014 at 06:43 PM ----------

Underwater Encounter with the Nile Crocodile - Sw…: Underwater Encounter with the Nile Crocodile - Swimming with Crocodiles - Episode 1 - BBC Two - YouTube

According to the Wildlife Biologist told me that an alligator is afraid of anything that is taller than it. That is unless you did something to piss it off. Therefore a diver on the surface is lunch.

I encountered one about 5-6 feet long while diving catfish hole at Manatee Springs. It was just lying on the surface in the duck weed not moving. I think it was probably just waiting for one of the catfish to swim by close enough for it to grab. My buddy and I ascended right under it and took several pictures. It never moved, so I thought maybe it was dead. So I purged my octo right under it, and it swam extremely fast to the far side of the pond. I was more afraid of the cotton mouths in the river side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom