Diving with Alligators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minion_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know a lot of people are concerned about diving with sharks in the ocean and everything else that lurks out there as well. I was wondering if anyone has ever encountered an alligator on a dive? If you did what did you do and what would you advise to people who would possibly encounter one underwater?

Thoroughly wash your wetsuit post dive!

I've never done it, but I just got back from a non diving trip that included a visit to the everglades. I was pondering how divable a swamp was. We did see a LOT of gators out there.

Cooper river in SC is popular for diving for fossils. There are gators around. Some people prefer to dive it in the winter for that reason. Some do not care.

I am with Steve. We see them on the surface and the thought is always in your mind. I have not had any trouble with them and when I am deep into finding the teeth I just seem to block the thought of them out. we always teel fellow new Cooper river divers that if the tooth is attached then leave it alone. It also makes for great fun when a fellow divers grabs your fin.

I'm in south mississippi. Went to a local lake to test new camera. Signs everywhere - beware of gators. Local fishing club weighing in. I asked about gators. They said they were everywhere and were a real problem. I thought they were just messing with the diver. Then they showed me the video of a big one that followed their boat all day.

I was diving alone in about 10 foot viz. About 20 minutes in I decided the camera was fine. :D

A few years back a fellow was snorkeling a few yards off the shore in SC. Believe it was Sante Cooper lakes. Gator took off his arm. Made it to shore. Luckily there was a gathering of EMT and RNs there having a picnic and they were able to save his life. Not the arm though.

Where as shark's intentions are "misunderstood" by the general population, it doesn't strike me that gator's are....

My instructor from 1985 did, in a large pond here in SW Louisiana.......This would have been circa ?'82......said they looked @ each other & each went a different way.....

I know several "Golf ball divers" here in SoFla.
I have asked them about this, and to a man, they have told me that the gators are not an issue.
They encounter them in mud viz, and generally just move away slowly.
However....
When it is mating season....
And there ARE gators about....
They DO NOT collect the balls, there, that day, or week.

Chug
Not doing yikkie diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom