Diving with a non certified diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your words:

Simply put, this is one of the daftest questions I've ever read here. You 'know' that either your Dad, yourself, or both could die.... and you ask how horrible would that be?

You have said that you'll nver do it and it is all just hypothetical. Hypothetically, 'how horrible' it would be depends on how much you care for your family.

And that is why I ask, not do.

I dived with my wife about 10 times before she was certified, she was fine with it, I taught her the basic skills, mask clear, reg recovery, share air... I held her hand literally the whole time, we had a great time...

I did this, with my gf, in the Philippines; she developed her skills well enough to make me comfortable taking her gradually down to 18m over a series of dives. IMO this worked better than just handing her over to some PADI unknown and I would do it again under the same circumstances

Well as other posts have said, could you live with yourself if something happened to him, I know I couldn't.

If you get into trouble you have no help, seeing he is not trained you have to assume you are diving alone, are you good enough to dive alone, or rescue someone?

A friend of mine saw an accident at a NSW pier.

An instructor and his "friend", wend diving off the pier, one scuba set between them. My friend, an instructor too, ended up pulling the drowning instructor out and while performing CPR saw him die. Utter stupidity to have one scuba set between any two divers let alone a novice and a certified diver. The instructor paid for his stupidity, but it could have been the novice or both.

Would you be legally liable, most probably in some sense so exposure to being sued or charged under some law.

Personally I would not, I care too much about my family and also would not expose myself to legal action.

Well as other posts have said, could you live with yourself if something happened to him, I know I couldn't.

If you get into trouble you have no help, seeing he is not trained you have to assume you are diving alone, are you good enough to dive alone, or rescue someone?

A friend of mine saw an accident at a NSW pier.

An instructor and his "friend", wend diving off the pier, one scuba set between them. My friend, an instructor too, ended up pulling the drowning instructor out and while performing CPR saw him die. Utter stupidity to have one scuba set between any two divers let alone a novice and a certified diver. The instructor paid for his stupidity, but it could have been the novice or both.

Would you be legally liable, most probably in some sense so exposure to being sued or charged under some law.

Personally I would not, I care too much about my family and also would not expose myself to legal action.

I don't understand. The OP has said a dozen times he has no intention of diving with his essentially-untrained dad unless his dad gets some instruction. Of course, as supergaijin pointed out, the OP added "how horrible would that be?", which makes it sound like the OP is contradicting himself and actually considering it. It seems that others here believe he's being disingenuous and is actually considering doing it. I give up.

I agree it's a hypothetical and I am not implying he will do it, just posing the questions one should consider and think about it
if I really thought he was going to I think my response would have been more along the lines of "are you really considering doing this.........etc" I am taking him at face value with what he said, maybe others are or not?

Well as other posts have said, could you live with yourself if something happened to him...?

His dad is pretty old, kid has probably moved out of home already

I don't understand. The OP has said a dozen times he has no intention of diving with his essentially-untrained dad unless his dad gets some instruction. Of course, as supergaijin pointed out, the OP added "how horrible would that be?", which makes it sound like the OP is contradicting himself and actually considering it. It seems that others here believe he's being disingenuous and is actually considering doing it. I give up.

I am not now nor ever have considered it. It was something that popped in my mind. As I am learning, it is not so horrible, but full of risks I would never be willing to take. Others have said they have done it before. I would never put my family, or anyone else at risk for something that could easily end terribly.

It would be along the lines of letting an unliscensed driver drive a vehicle. Although there is a good chance nothing would happen, it just is not worth the risk.

---------- Post added June 4th, 2013 at 11:11 AM ----------

His dad is pretty old, kid has probably moved out of home already

Yes, I do live on my own. I am in my 30s, and have not lived at home for over 10 years.

. . .
As I am learning, it is not so horrible, but full of risks I would never be willing to take. Others have said they have done it before. . . .

I think what others have said is that, apart from someone who dived to 15 feet on a hookah (is that really diving?) and Discover Scuba Diving (which is under supervision of an instructor and includes some minimal instruction), either they dived with someone who was self-taught (and competent) or who they themselves taught or who someone else taught (but who wasn't an instructor). Your dad isn't "self-taught" because the information taught today wasn't even available in 1960. I admittedly haven't read back through the whole thread, but I don't recall anyone saying they "have done it"--meaning they have dived (as in actual open water scuba diving) with someone who has received essentially no instruction.

I think what others have said is that, apart from someone who dived to 15 feet on a hookah (is that really diving?) and Discover Scuba Diving (which is under supervision of an instructor and includes some minimal instruction), either they dived with someone who was self-taught (and competent) or who they themselves taught or who someone else taught (but who wasn't an instructor). Your dad isn't "self-taught" because the information taught today wasn't even available in 1960. I admittedly haven't read back through the whole thread, but I don't recall anyone saying they "have done it"--meaning they have dived (as in actual open water scuba diving) with someone who has received essentially no instruction.

Back a page or 2, some one said they did.

---------- Post added June 4th, 2013 at 01:48 PM ----------

I dived with my wife about 10 times before she was certified, she was fine with it, I taught her the basic skills, mask clear, reg recovery, share air. we were diving in BVI, max depth 45 ft, I held her hand litterally the whole time, we had a great time she went on to be an AI. I can no longer recommend it officially however. :wink:

This is what I mean.

Not that I would ever do it.

I did my first dive with no instruction. Years later, I did a few more, again with no instruction. If my father wanted to try scuba, I would be happy to take him with only the instruction I could provide.

Back
Top Bottom