Diving While on goserelin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kenns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are there any indications on whether or not there are diving restrictions while being injected with goserelin (Zoladex)? I can't seem to find any restrictions on activities. Plenty on side effects.

Hi kenns,

Your profile indicates that you are a female. It is therefore liklely that the goserelin(Zoladex) is being prescribed for breast cancer or for endometriosis or in preparation endometrial ablation.

The forum will be able to provide a better reply if a specific diagnosis(es) is provided.

Also:

1. Signs & symptoms?
2. Other medications or medical procedures?
3. Side effects to prescribed medication?
4. State of general health & fitness?
5. Other medical info of note?

Regards,

DocVikingo

The drug is actually Triptorelin and is used, in my case, to prepare for a hysterectomy due to fibroids which is causing severe bleeding/anemia. I will be injected once/month for 3 months. I am fairly fit and am working at increasing my fitness level during this interim. I try to run/walk 6km three times per week. There are no other meds involved.

The pharmacist did not have any concerns about diving with this drug except that, in time, I may tire more easily, which means shorter dives.

Any advice will be appreciated. I'm hoping to continue diving as much as possible for the next three months knowing I'll not be able to for 2-3 months following surgery.

Hi kenns,

Triptorelin (Decapeptyl SR; Gonapeptyl Depot) and goserelin (Zoladex) are both drugs that, among other applications, are given to shrink uterine fibroids prior to their surgical removal. Studies suggest they have roughly comparable efficacy.

The most common side effects of triptorelin are hot flushes, skeletal pain and fatigue, but may include blood in the urine, difficulty urinating, diarrhea, dizziness, headache, itching, nausea, sleeplessness and stomach discomfort/vomiting.

The diver taking this drug will want to monitor for adverse reactions topside before diving. Among other advantages, this may prevent side effects like headache and muscle/skeletal ache from being confused with DCI or vice-versa. As with any medication, understand all information regarding side effects, precautions, drug interactions and other warnings.

The individual with a history of severe bleeding and anemia will want to make sure that the anemia has resolved sufficiently for safe SCUBA. A female will want hemoglobin values within the 12-16 g/dL range and a hematocrit within the 36-48% range.

Of course the treating physician should clear the diver for this activity.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom