Diving watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK. If it is only for posturing, I won't buy it.

23 years ago, I was a Formula 1 fan and a semi-pro racing pilot. My first son was born and I purchased a Tag Heuer Kyrium automatic chronograh to celebrate it. I did not know it was a diving watch. For me, it was a tribute to Senna ( my son second first name is Ayrton). This watch still works perfectly. I will keep to it.

there is no real added value in having a diving watch compared to a diving computer. Even less when you wear two diving computers. Am I wrong? Then, the real question of this thread: is it worth buying a Rolex Submariner, the self called ultimate diver watch?

No, and no (not for use in diving).

I have several dive watches, from the very expensive (my scale) to the not so expensive and I have never dove with any of them. I'd rather buy a second or third dive computer for backup instead of a dive watch. Best value is a wrist dive computer that is also a watch. For anyone starting out in diving, I'd recommend investing in a second dive computer never a mere "dive watch, it just doesn't make any sense to me to buy a dive watch when you don't have a back up dive computer.

I have several dive watches, from the very expensive (my scale) to the not so expensive and I have never dove with any of them. I'd rather buy a second or third dive computer for backup instead of a dive watch. Best value is a wrist dive computer that is also a watch. For anyone starting out in diving, I'd recommend investing in a second dive computer never a mere "dive watch, it just doesn't make any sense to me to buy a dive watch when you don't have a back up dive computer.
So, why do you have diving watches in the first place?

to know when to be at the boat for load up...?

Most expensive one was a gift for university graduation over 30 years ago and others not so expensive used as watches and used in pool when teaching in pool. Some relatives or friends who don't understand diving and want to buy me a gift the first thing they think of is buying a "dive watch". I'll pass on the expensive ones to my sons when they finish their grad school work. I'll be content with having only one or two dive watches to use as "watches" however. They are more rugged when working in the pool teaching diving. For diving, only dive computers.

Same reason my dad has a slide rule. It was the best for what they had at the time, but now is a mark of luxury. Kind of like horses and sailboats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom