Diving Watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's where getting your better half involved in diving comes in. use her needs to justify buying "her" a computer. :) I dive a Cobra, my wife now dives a Vyper. Both are essentially the same computer except for the air intergration and a few other minor details. My wife dives mainly on vacation in clear bath temp water. That equals me usually having a backup computer that's essentially the same as my primary. What's beter is that can be wrist mount. :)

Tomcat,
I don't see the need for a super expensive watch either. Mine is a WENGER. It's Swiss made and comes with a five year warranty. My wife bought it for me a couple of years ago. So far no problems. The back light is weak, but I always have my hand light. The wife said she gave $150 for it.
:tree:Bob

To all,
A good dive watch is an essential piece of dive equipment, it forms a part of the redundancy in your system. As with "most" thing you get what you pay for, if all you want to do is tell time then get a $30.00 Timex, if you you want a redundant piece of equipment, buy a good watch. Mine tells depth as well as time + a stopwatch function for hanging on the stops.

I've had 4 different dive computers, still have the same Citizen Aqualand Promaster I started diving with. I'll leave my computer at home before I'll leave my watch.

Just my .02

ID

Well, I guess it comes down to the definition of how good good is and how many functions one needs or expects from a watch. I basically expect mine to be a reliable timepiece which I use to time my dives and safety stops. The timer on my DC backs up my watch. My watch is always primary, the computer secondary. My SPG has a depth guage which I use in conjunction with the depth function on my DC. I've never experienced a failure on any of the above mentioned items, but if I did, I would end my dive regardless of how much redundancy I have. My experience is that small problems underwater tend to turn into big problems. I'd rather be safe than sorry. My $150 watch works just fine for me. The Citizen watch is a great timepiece. If I ever need a watch with more functions, I'll just start wearing that Promaster I found at the bottom of Lake Quachita a few years ago.

My .02

Hey Bob,

YOU FOUND A WHAT!?!?! Jeez, some guys have all the luck. The only thing that I have ever found is my buddy's torch. Then I had to give it right back :Þ

tomcat

Yeah, it's the only thing I've ever found worth keeping other than a few arrowheads and some sharks teeth. I've been diving since 1980 so I guess the law of averages finally smiled on me. Dad's been wearing it long enough to claim it as his I suppose. My brother in law found a nice knife that same trip. We wondered if the same guy lost both. If so, he took a hit didn't he?

I use the Citizen Titanium Aqualand Duplex It's a sweet watch that also doubles as a backup computer. It logs plenty of important data like time in the water, time out, total time in min & seconds, max depth, average depth, min water temp etc. The depth sensor is so accurate I've compared it to my compter many many times and is always in agreement. In fact I look at it more than my Suunto Cobra during the course of my dive for time and depth info.

Casio makes a few models. I have a DEP-610 logs 20 dives, max depth, ave depth, start and end times as well as the temapture at max depth. As a bonus you can scroll through the profile of your last dive in 1 minute intervals. It is also about 1/2 the prive of a Citizen Hyper Aqualand. :)

G.

I need a dive watch myself. All my friends are telling me to go for the aqualand watch but i have settled on the suunto mosquito since i can also use it as a backup computer if my cobra go's south. Its slimline compared to most other watches too, even more so than the stinger.

Back
Top Bottom